Fit and fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Problem most blokes have with being overweight is the fat hangs around the middle which is bad for your internal organs (apparently..).

I read a rule of thumb your waist shouldn't be more than half your height, bmi on the whole isn't a bad thing but if you have a lot of muscle then it is very skewed.

I think most people can judge if they are overweight or not. I went down from 90+kg to 76kg (5'10") and felt a lot better for doing so, my exercise stayed the same just ate less..

As the saying goes, you can't outrun a bad diet..

As you get older, diet increasingly plays more of an important role with regards weight control.

I met this guy at a talk he gave last year and again a few weeks ago at the West Midlands Vegan Festival. He does not have an ounce of excess fat on him, in fact he has an amazing physique, still cycles long distances (I think he is 68) and backs up what he says with science. He explained that even vegans can be overweight and unhealthy due to increasing availability of vegan junk food. His web site gives links to scientists and medical practitioners who have written books on eating a whole foods plant based diet.

The website is well worth a look and his talks are well worth a visit.

http://www.vegancyclist.co.uk/

reacher

I fall into the fit but overweight category. Looking around I see quite a lot people who are way fitter than the average population but are also overweight. I wonder if this is a relatively new phenomenon with some interesting health outcomes?

It does demonstrate that trips to the gym or whatever, do nothing for your weight.

You could train all you want if your shovelling a ton of food down your neck then your going to put weight on, I don't understand your logic in this statement. Fit compared to the average population is not exactly difficult to achieve to be fair seeing as the average person does nothing in regards to any type of training, however being overweight and fit compared to someone who is not over weight and trains correctly is a differant matter entirely

david k

Hi
You could train all you want if your shovelling a ton of food down your neck then your going to put weight on, I don't understand your logic in this statement. Fit compared to the average population is not exactly difficult to achieve to be fair seeing as the average person does nothing in regards to any type of training, however being overweight and fit compared to someone who is not over weight and trains correctly is a differant matter entirely
If the ton of food is healthy and low density calories then maybe you can

Slick

Guru
I think it's dangerous to make assumptions about your own or others health just by looking. Two people can have the exact same diet and output, but still have different weights. As already mentioned, where we store the excess fat has a huge effect on our health, and I know one guy in particular who was the embodiment of a fit overweight athlete who could out power the best of them on the hills. It probably had to be seen to be believed, and could only be possible by years of hard graft and effort. Until he started getting chest pains. He's not carrying a lot of weight now, but now knows that carrying too much weight is never good no matter how fast you can get up a hill.

ozboz

Guru
At the mo , within two weeks of being 64 , at 6' tall (183cm) ,I weigh in at just under 13 stone, (82kg)
In my late 20's , I hit 17 stone , and never felt as unhealthy in my life , I used to listen to R2 in those days , One afternoon a lady was being interviewed , she mentioned the Beverly Hills Diet , so I found out what I could and went along with it the best I could , my only exercise was walking, it was a nice summer that year , so I walked everywhere , miles and miles , the combination of the two did it for me , The weight has fluctuated on occasion , but on the whole been steady ,

snorri

Legendary Member
It's so difficult to read and compare and contrast so many of the posts in this thread:sad:.
A formal governnment policy to support metrication was adopted in 1965, NINETEEN SIXTY FIVE, FFS:rolleyes::angry:.
OK, rant over:smile:.

ozboz

Guru
It's so difficult to read and compare and contrast so many of the posts in this thread:sad:.
A formal governnment policy to support metrication was adopted in 1965, NINETEEN SIXTY FIVE, FFS:rolleyes::angry:.
OK, rant over:smile:.

Interesting, it is now 2016 ,
And yet ,
I buy 33 inch Jeans ,
17-1/2 inch collar shirts
7-1/4 headwear
Pints of Beer ,
Drive 80 miles per day for my work,
Not very Metric ,

JD42

Hills are nature's way of culling the weak
FAT-MRI.png

I have Big bones apparently:okay:

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
I'm a member of My Fitness Pal and some of the before and after pictures are amazing, that x-ray above rings true as their skeletons won't magically change shape.

Julia9054

Guru
As you get older, diet increasingly plays more of an important role with regards weight control.

I met this guy at a talk he gave last year and again a few weeks ago at the West Midlands Vegan Festival. He does not have an ounce of excess fat on him, in fact he has an amazing physique, still cycles long distances (I think he is 68) and backs up what he says with science. He explained that even vegans can be overweight and unhealthy due to increasing availability of vegan junk food. His web site gives links to scientists and medical practitioners who have written books on eating a whole foods plant based diet.

The website is well worth a look and his talks are well worth a visit.

http://www.vegancyclist.co.uk/
I worked with him for a bit. Used to cycle a round trip of over 50 miles to work every day and eat what looked like giant tubs of brown sludge for lunch!

MarkF

Guru
As you get older it is inevitable to put on weight unless you starve yourself silly. If you exercise as well, like cycling, you become fitter and healthier but still a bit overweight because this is the law of nature on the human body. You can be Mr Universe at 20 but not at 60 !

I have 2 groups of pals, ones I played football with and ones that never really did any exercise at all. I still play the odd game of football (at 53) with the former who mostly still play as well, many of these now cycle and use the gym. Just about every one of us has the same physique we had in our late 20's. When I look at the pals who didn't do anything, they look like our dad's and it's all too late for them now.

60 looks like this!:okay:
article-0-19EC6F30000005DC-689_306x423.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom