Fit and fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have 2 groups of pals, ones I played football with and ones that never really did any exercise at all. I still play the odd game of football (at 53) with the former who mostly still play as well, many of these now cycle and use the gym. Just about every one of us has the same physique we had in our late 20's. When I look at the pals who didn't do anything, they look like our dad's and it's all too late for them now.
Probably not true! Ok, if they are about to die from a terminal illness brought on by a poor lifestyle then it IS too late, but the rest of them can change.

I lost loads of weight in my 50s, got stuck in to my cycling and feel much better now. The biggest sign that I used to be obese and unfit is that my skin has lots of stretch marks. I look like I have given birth to about 30 kids! Apart from that, no obvious problems. :okay:

MarkF

Guru
Probably not true! Ok, if they are about to die from a terminal illness brought on by a poor lifestyle then it IS too late, but the rest of them can change.

I lost loads of weight in my 50s, got stuck in to my cycling and feel much better now. The biggest sign that I used to be obese and unfit is that my skin has lots of stretch marks. I look like I have given birth to about 30 kids! Apart from that, no obvious problems. :okay:

Possibly not true but probably true. ^_^ They are lardy (very) arsed, lazy fekkers who haven't ran since schooldays, why would they start doing anything now in their mid-50's? I have known some since those schooldays and wish just one would do what you did, but I really, really doubt that will happen as they have been asked/invited/encouraged numerous times as both groups "know" eachother.

david k

Hi
I have 2 groups of pals, ones I played football with and ones that never really did any exercise at all. I still play the odd game of football (at 53) with the former who mostly still play as well, many of these now cycle and use the gym. Just about every one of us has the same physique we had in our late 20's.

When I look at the pals who didn't do anything, they look like our dad's and it's all too late for them now.

Why is it too late for them?

Are, just seen post above

Not too late for them, but you doubt they are motivated to do it, two different things

keithmac

Guru
That's the thing, if you choose to lose weight it's different to other people making you lose weight.

It's hard work to lose weight (for me anyway), and if the hearts not in it, no motivation then it's a none starter..

Slick

Guru
That's the thing, if you choose to lose weight it's different to other people making you lose weight.

It's hard work to lose weight (for me anyway), and if the hearts not in it, no motivation then it's a none starter..
It's the same with everything really, you need the right type of motivation and drive to achieve any level of success at anything.

david k

Hi
It's the same with everything really, you need the right type of motivation and drive to achieve any level of success at anything.
Yep, self motivation rather than someone else pushing you, that rarely leads to success
Coaches and teachers should create an environment for success and encourage self motivation. That said we all need a push from time to time to stop complaincency

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer

For those trying to lose weight but struggling with things like being hungry, I really recommend watching this lecture on calorie density:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CdwWliv7Hg

Quite long so might need to watch it in two parts- but honestly nothing else will make eating for weight loss more clear than this. And the dietitian giving the lecture (Jeff Novick) is quite entertaining too. It's from a Dr McDougall study weekend.

Slick

Guru
Yep, self motivation rather than someone else pushing you, that rarely leads to success
Coaches and teachers should create an environment for success and encourage self motivation. That said we all need a push from time to time to stop complaincency
I'm an instructor in a national training centre. I enjoy nearly all aspects of it, but what really interests me is finding out what exactly motivates the individual, then using that to make sure they have the desire to push themselves forward. It's really interesting to watch. In my day it was cash and cash only, now it's unlimited.

david k

Hi
I'm an instructor in a national training centre. I enjoy nearly all aspects of it, but what really interests me is finding out what exactly motivates the individual, then using that to make sure they have the desire to push themselves forward. It's really interesting to watch. In my day it was cash and cash only, now it's unlimited.
Brilliant, I'm a rugby coach and love all types of player development, nutrition, application etc etc. I try not to look at performance in isolation

Slick

Guru
Haha, you can apply the same theories to all walks of life. I just wish I was more open to it when I was younger.

david k

Hi
Haha, you can apply the same theories to all walks of life. I just wish I was more open to it when I was younger.
I was fascinated with this when I was younger, played semi pro but suddenly lost interest due to over exposure to it all. I've now found new interest and enjoying coaching, my view is creating the environment for people to flourish, many bosses, coaches etc often put that reponsibilty on staff, saying they will come through if good enough, well, create that pathway, or lead them to water an hope they drink it

Slick

Guru
It's a fairly knew concept to me. Running my own business for a number of years, I believed the only choices were cash incentives or the stick. Thinking back makes me cringe at some of the tactics I'd use to achieve whatever was required. I've learned a lot over the last few years.

david k

Hi
It's a fairly knew concept to me. Running my own business for a number of years, I believed the only choices were cash incentives or the stick. Thinking back makes me cringe at some of the tactics I'd use to achieve whatever was required. I've learned a lot over the last few years.
Cash is a poor motivator usually, it's very short term as eventually it becomes a right in the eyes of the receiver, it feels like a punishment when they don't get it
Personal touches are greater incentives, everyone like,s to be recognised, so small thoughtful gifts or simply a brief word in their ear can really tune people in and want them to achieve more

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the lines of the "is it too late" and motivation questions, quite a few years ago a friend said something to me that has stuck in my mind. We were talking about finding the time to exercise. She said "If you don't find time for it now, then be prepared to find time to deal with the consequences later." (Referring to stuff like heart disease and type 2 diabetes etc)

It was one of those "a ha" moments. I remember exactly where I was when she said it.

Slick

Guru
I had a similar experience when I found my self trying to explain to the safety man why I was about to throw my leg over the handrail of a North Sea oil rig and slide down a 21 ft tube to sit on a 9" butt at the bottom. He said,"There is no greater incentive, than no other alternative". He was obviously exforces, but it stuck with me and served me well a couple of times.

Top Bottom