Fit and fat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
I fall into the fit but overweight category. Looking around I see quite a lot people who are way fitter than the average population but are also overweight. I wonder if this is a relatively new phenomenon with some interesting health outcomes?

It does demonstrate that trips to the gym or whatever, do nothing for your weight.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
As you get older it is inevitable to put on weight unless you starve yourself silly. If you exercise as well, like cycling, you become fitter and healthier but still a bit overweight because this is the law of nature on the human body. You can be Mr Universe at 20 but not at 60 !

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
As you get older it is inevitable to put on weight

Like this you mean?

fatty.jpg

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I'd have to say my Dad, who cycles a lot, has been in this category for a while.

Better than being both overweight and unfit, but being overweight is still something people need to address to be healthy long term, especially as they get older.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Up until a few years ago I still had my ex-'80s rugby player's build - 6ft and 100+kg. I'd always assumed that was the way I was made and I was still active and healthy(ish). However, for reasons I won't bore you with I've now dropped to <80kg. If I felt OK before, now I feel great and the cycling has certainly benefited. Judging whether you're overweight is much more than a crappy measure like BMI but it's certainly better to be active than inactive, whatever your weight.
5'9", 87kg and have done three Ironmans in last 5 years and a load of half IMs - not to say that shifting 10kg would not make a big difference to cycling uphill and to my running
20kg of that is calf muscle. How do you get socks on man?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Normally I weigh 75kg (1.79m). However I've been complexly inactive for the last 2 months due to a slipped disc and I now weigh 71kg. My GP said muscle weighs more than fat and that my weight loss was due to muscle wastage.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As you get older it is inevitable to put on weight unless you starve yourself silly. If you exercise as well, like cycling, you become fitter and healthier but still a bit overweight because this is the law of nature on the human body. You can be Mr Universe at 20 but not at 60 !
This is nonsense.

I am 58, eat like a horse and am certainly not overweight.

Its all down to exercise and what you eat and when. I eat burger King occasionally, ice cream etc, etc.

Where did you get the law of nature bit from?

screenman

Legendary Member
This is nonsense.

I am 58, eat like a horse and am certainly not overweight.

Its all down to exercise and what you eat and when. I eat burger King occasionally, ice cream etc, etc.

Where did you get the law of nature bit from?

How do you expect to get fat eating mainly grass most of the time?

I train hard in the pool for 5 hours a week, I have a physical job and I ride 4 to 6 hours a week and I can still very easily put on weight, now drop sugary things and I stop doing so.

screenman

Legendary Member
Going by BMI I'm overweight. Considerably so.

Yet I've no flab, can't pinch more than an inch, and my waist is 10" smaller than my chest.

What gets classed as 'overweight' is quite often a load of old tosh.

Quite often? should read sometimes, I just spent a few hours in Grimsby last week and I doubt I saw one waist line smaller than the chest size.

Top Bottom