Fitness goal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan5616

I'm now aged 74 years and came back to cycling last year after a 20 year break. In my teenage years, I used to do time trials and 100+ mile rides.

I've had several health issues over the last couple of years so, In order to increase my fitness, I joined a gym in Feb 2016 and have been working out three times a week as well as doing regular spin classes. I, also, ride with a local cycling group every week. My fitness level has certainly improved but, I'm concerned that I may be getting into the "red" zone too much.

I have a RHR of 49 but, when pushing hard, on a static gym bike, my BPM always goes above 180. Apparently, this is well above the considered maximum level for a man of my age. I don't know whether this indicates that I have developed a good fitness level or, in grave danger of having a heart attack. My heart rate drops back to <150 within a couple of minutes of "taking my foot off the gas". I have become a very keen cyclist and would like to do some sportives this year hence, my desire to train hard and get as fit as possible.

Any advice on training, or my high BPM, would be greatly appreciated

S-Express

How are you measuring your HR? If it is via a gym bike sensor or similar, then it may not be completely accurate. Providing your heart is healthy (presume you have had GP checkup or similar) then there is nothing particularly wrong with hitting max. Having said that, there is no particular need to be hitting max HR all the time if you are only training for events like sportives, where aerobic (ie significantly sub-maximal) cardio fitness is the main goal.

Well done Alan, inspiring stuff great to see you have re-found your enjoyment on the bike. S-Express comments are pretty much spot on, you have had a general check up with the GP right?

Given that this is the case if I were you I would check out this as an idea http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/about/sport-and-fitness/fitness-assessment-service/ . This is a google search and I have no personnel knowledge of this particular establishment, but hey would it not be good to be a lab rat for a couple of hours and have a good insight into just what kind of condition you are in and be able to adjust your training accordingly.

Best of Luck with the training.

OP
OP
Alan5616

Alan5616

How are you measuring your HR? If it is via a gym bike sensor or similar, then it may not be completely accurate. Providing your heart is healthy (presume you have had GP checkup or similar) then there is nothing particularly wrong with hitting max. Having said that, there is no particular need to be hitting max HR all the time if you are only training for events like sportives, where aerobic (ie significantly sub-maximal) cardio fitness is the main goal.

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the gym bike sensor. I've had a recent check up and my heart muscle is in good condition.

OP
OP
Alan5616

Alan5616

Well done Alan, inspiring stuff great to see you have re-found your enjoyment on the bike. S-Express comments are pretty much spot on, you have had a general check up with the GP right?

Given that this is the case if I were you I would check out this as an idea http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/about/sport-and-fitness/fitness-assessment-service/ . This is a google search and I have no personnel knowledge of this particular establishment, but hey would it not be good to be a lab rat for a couple of hours and have a good insight into just what kind of condition you are in and be able to adjust your training accordingly.

Best of Luck with the training.

Thanks for your help. I'll check out this assessment service.

S-Express

Thanks for your reply. I'm using the gym bike sensor. I've had a recent check up and my heart muscle is in good condition.
It's quite likely the reading is erroneous in that case. A proper monitor with a chest sensor from the likes of Polar, Suunto or others can be had for relatively little cost.

Tin Pot

Guru
Yep, a cheap polar FT-1 with a heat strap from Argos is accurate.

I hear a lot of advice training in later years, almost all recommend weight training to increase bone density and testosterone production.

Joe Friel writes about this in Fast After Fifty.

Sharky

Guru
Only thought i have is "less is more". Shorter and more intensive rides will shorten recovery times and let you repeat sooner. whatever training programme you start now has got to be for life. So make sure you can sustain the programme for the next 10 years at least.

As a former tt rider, you are not too young to have another go. Riding a 10 mile tt is a great challenge and gives you a real benchmark for fitness comparisons.

Good look for the coming season.
Keith

OP
OP
Alan5616

Alan5616

Yep, a cheap polar FT-1 with a heat strap from Argos is accurate.

I hear a lot of advice training in later years, almost all recommend weight training to increase bone density and testosterone production.

Joe Friel writes about this in Fast After Fifty.

Thanks TinPot: I'll check out Argos. I have been doing weight training for almost a year now and, recently had an x-ray. The doctor commented that my bone density was more like a 30-40 year old than someone of my age.

OP
OP
Alan5616

Alan5616

Only thought i have is "less is more". Shorter and more intensive rides will shorten recovery times and let you repeat sooner. whatever training programme you start now has got to be for life. So make sure you can sustain the programme for the next 10 years at least.

As a former tt rider, you are not too young to have another go. Riding a 10 mile tt is a great challenge and gives you a real benchmark for fitness comparisons.

Good look for the coming season.
Keith

Thanks for your advice Sharky. I used to clock between 23-24 minutes for a 10 mile but, haven't done a TT for 55 years! However, I did a Wattbike test, a few weeks ago, with wind resistance setting at 7. Recorded a time of 29.45 for the 10 miles. I have no idea how this compares to cyclists in my age group or, what sort of time I could, realistically, set my sights on.

Sharky

Guru
Thanks for your advice Sharky. I used to clock between 23-24 minutes for a 10 mile but, haven't done a TT for 55 years! However, I did a Wattbike test, a few weeks ago, with wind resistance setting at 7. Recorded a time of 29.45 for the 10 miles. I have no idea how this compares to cyclists in my age group or, what sort of time I could, realistically, set my sights on.
My fastest ever was a 23:50, back in 1969. Last year did a 27:01 (@66 yrs)
Age standard for a 74yr rider is 29:53, so looks like you are right on target - no excuses now.

Cheers Keith

Mrs M

Guru
I'm now aged 74 years and came back to cycling last year after a 20 year break. In my teenage years, I used to do time trials and 100+ mile rides.

I've had several health issues over the last couple of years so, In order to increase my fitness, I joined a gym in Feb 2016 and have been working out three times a week as well as doing regular spin classes. I, also, ride with a local cycling group every week. My fitness level has certainly improved but, I'm concerned that I may be getting into the "red" zone too much.

I have a RHR of 49 but, when pushing hard, on a static gym bike, my BPM always goes above 180. Apparently, this is well above the considered maximum level for a man of my age. I don't know whether this indicates that I have developed a good fitness level or, in grave danger of having a heart attack. My heart rate drops back to <150 within a couple of minutes of "taking my foot off the gas". I have become a very keen cyclist and would like to do some sportives this year hence, my desire to train hard and get as fit as possible.

Any advice on training, or my high BPM, would be greatly appreciated
Sorry no advice but just a well done for going for it :okay:
Anything we can do as we get older to keep fit and healthy is a bonus :smile:

Top Bottom