Fitness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shades.5

Hi all , just wondering how long it takes to loose a little weight and build up a decent fitness , have been doing some sort of riding now for the last 2 weeks ( couple of little rides 2 miles etc and now a couple of 10 milers and last night a 20 miler ) i doing bristol to chobham 100 miles on august 24th just hoping this gives me enough time to buld up fitness stamina etc , do people think a months training should be ok and does anyone have any tips etc , thanks

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Depends upon how fit you want to get - just take that 100 easy as you've not given yourself enough time really. You need to be capable of riding at least 60 miles before going for 100. Building up stamina takes time.

There is no quick answer. To become a 'racing snake' then that takes time, and training, lots of it.

Fiona N

Veteran
It also depends on how fit you were when you started. If you're going from absolutely unfit, initial improvements are great but you've a way to go, whereas if you've already got a base of fitness from, say, running, soccer whatever, gains won't be as marked but the base is there for the endurance. Mind you, if you're starting from nothing, 100 miles in a month's time will be a huge feat unless you're a natural athlete. Just sitting on the bike for the required time (6+ hours, likely) will take an effort.

RedBike

i doing bristol to chobham 100 miles on august 24th just hoping this gives me enough time to buld up fitness stamina etc , do people think a months training should be ok and does anyone have any tips etc

It might be possible but it's going to take a lot more than 2mile long rides.
Basically you need to be increasing the mileage until you're nearly up to 100 miles.

If you start with just 12miles and increase your mileage by 10% every time you ride then you should be up to a reasonable mileage within a month.

Don't attempt a big ride on tired legs and make sure than you always eat and drink loads, even if you don't feel like it (which you probably wont).

So thats 12miles the first day. 13 the next time you ride, 15 the time after that... 16,18,19,21.....

If you manage to ride every day and increase your mileage by just 10% every day then within the month you'll be doing rides over 100miles; However, with rest days you'll probably only get to about 50 / 60 miles. 100 miles will still be a huge step up from here; but at least it's possible.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ability to ride 100 miles is not easy within a month - that's a huge ask.... try out a good 40 miler soon, and see how you feel, then 60 miles...it's a very short time !!

Top Bottom