Fitted lights & bike reflectors... How 'legal' are we all really?

Which option best describes your lighting/reflector choice on your 'most used' bike?

• Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Fully BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Pedal/Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 14 13.9%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. Front/Rear reflectors fitted.

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Non BS approved lights front and/or rear. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • Reflectors fitted. No lights.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ninja... No lights. No reflectors fitted.

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's a fairly safe bet that if you didn't specifically look for lights that were BS approved then chances are they are not.
oh well.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Same here, so I picked "Non BS" even though they are legal. Actually, I still have a BS Cateye light amongst the fleet in the shed and it's surprisingly good. Is the only widely-available BS light now the Askalitt one in Clas Ohlsen?

I didn't cast a vote as BS doesn't apply to my setup but it is of an acceptable (and higher) alternate European standard. There should be a voting option for 'exceeds BS requirements'!

I'd never heard of the Askalitt light before. I've no idea which lights on sale in the UK are BS compliant, I tend to go for B&M stuff.

GC

Jody

Stubborn git
No BS crap lights here. No pedal reflectors.

Lit up like a Christmas Tree on fire.

^ This (almost) for me. Although you need to add an option for non BS conforming reflectors also.

Lights Non BS twin cree upfront with a BS single LED also on the bars. Rear, 1/2 watt smart, Zecto and a single LED knog blinder on the helmet for emergency. I assume the rears are all BS but could be wrong

I have 3M tape on my forks, steerer tube, rear triangle near the pivots and the top of my seat tube. Slick wheels have 3M spoke reflectors and the nobbly wheels have some small bits blue reflective material on the rims.

No pedal reflectors but have reflectives on on my shoes and also DHB bibs with large reflectives on the calfs n zip.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd never heard of the Askalitt light before. I've no idea which lights on sale in the UK are BS compliant, I tend to go for B&M stuff.
Yes, you have far more choice of good lights when buying from Germany.

There's a commentary at http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/verkeersregels/uk_rvlr/index_en.html that says the BS was last updated in 2003, so it's not as out of date as some think, but it looks possible to produce a light that would pass BS but still be pathetic (about 4 lux on the German measurement system - StVZO requires 10 and I think 30 is the useful minimum!). It also looks possible to produce a BS light that would be good, but seeing as cyclists in our country have been blinded by meaningless lumens marketing for years and don't seem to care about dazzling other road users, is there sufficient market for it?

Mrs M

Guru
I have Cateye front and rear x2.
I have no reflectors but reflective jacket and shoes.
I don't ride often at night but always have a set of lights on when it's a bit dull (most of the time :rain:)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes, you have far more choice of good lights when buying from Germany.

There's a commentary at http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/verlichting/verkeersregels/uk_rvlr/index_en.html that says the BS was last updated in 2003, so it's not as out of date as some think, but it looks possible to produce a light that would pass BS but still be pathetic (about 4 lux on the German measurement system - StVZO requires 10 and I think 30 is the useful minimum!). It also looks possible to produce a BS light that would be good, but seeing as cyclists in our country have been blinded by meaningless lumens marketing for years and don't seem to care about dazzling other road users, is there sufficient market for it?
Surely we can only buy what is there to buy. I don't go looking for the brightest light, I look at it in use on the road on other people's bikes, whether it blinds someone (I don't see the point - I'd rather they were not shutting their eyes when near me), if there is a useful spread of light, if I'm not directly behind them does it still show up. 2003 is a long time in terms of lights!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It depends which bike. I have reflectors, including pedal reflectors on two of my bikes, but not the third. Whether my lights are BS approved or not I don't know. Probably not.

Note that pedal reflectors aren't a legal requirement on bikes manufactured before 1980-something. (1985?) So my Dawes doesn't need them legally. But I've fitted some anyway.

cd365

Guru
No pedal reflectors but have reflectives on on my shoes and also DHB bibs with large reflectives on the calfs n zip.
I also have reflectors on my shoes, not sure if legally that is sufficient. I'm sure someone on here knows the answer. I've never seen a question yet on this forum where someone isn't an expert :laugh::tongue:

Jody

Stubborn git
I also have reflectors on my shoes, not sure if legally that is sufficient. I'm sure someone on here knows the answer. I've never seen a question yet on this forum where someone isn't an expert :laugh::tongue:

They aren't legal and especially as mine are white.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Surely we can only buy what is there to buy. I don't go looking for the brightest light, I look at it in use on the road on other people's bikes, whether it blinds someone (I don't see the point - I'd rather they were not shutting their eyes when near me), if there is a useful spread of light, if I'm not directly behind them does it still show up. 2003 is a long time in terms of lights!
Sure, but 2003 is just a blink in terms of human eyeball evolution, so what was good enough to see or dazzling back then probably still is. There's not been any step change like LEDs or plastics since 2003 so it should be pretty simple with the progress in technology for someone to make a compliant light now that's actually some good. Well done on checking lights yourself - I think that's more thorough than most people do before purchasing.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another Christmas tree here, 4 front lights (Electron twin lamp set and 2 opticube Cateyes) and at least 2 (if not 3, depends on the bike) rear lamps 1 flashing and one constant/flashing (Cateye 2 row TL-LD1000) plus retroreflective flashes on clothing, boots and panniers, plus sometimes a HiViz tabard.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well done on checking lights yourself - I think that's more thorough than most people do before purchasing.
When you are commuting and seeing lights regularly it's easy to notice what works and what doesn't, and then it's just a case of asking them what their light is when you have to stop at the junctions.

NickWi

Guru
Ignoring the alternative German / EU approved option, is it actually possible to by a light that just isn't BS approved, but actually mark up as so. i.e. the kitemark is moulded into the lense or wherever it's supposed to be?

Top Bottom