Fitter, but not slimmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

boydj said:
Give it another 3 months, Mags. With the longer commute and some training for longer events, you will see the difference. You have started at a fairly high fitness level, so making further changes to your body shape is going to be a long-term deal as you'll develop more 'slow-twitch' muscles at the expense of 'fast-twitch' - which might just slim down those thighs a bit.

Oh dear! My wife likes my thighs! :thumbsup:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The only problem i have with the weight lost vs muscle gained is now for me to get a pair of trousers that fits my waist then i have to compromise on the tightness around my thighs.

zizou

Veteran
i tend to find if ive been cycling (or other exercise) my diet that day is pretty good, quantities are greater but its more 'good' food. Its the days off the bike or just sitting watching tv or hanging about doing nothing much that the diet goes to crap. Not sure why - sure it must be partly boredom and partly wanting a sugar rush to compensate for the lack of endorphins or something like that :smile:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

gaz said:
The only problem i have with the weight lost vs muscle gained is now for me to get a pair of trousers that fits my waist then i have to compromise on the tightness around my thighs.

Don't talk to me about trousers! :smile: I hate shopping for trousers, especially denims. The amount of times I've tried on loose fit denims only to find that I can't get them past my thighs...grrr.

I once for a laugh took a pair of 501's into the changing room. Oh how I laughed.....:biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I've lost 2" around the waist, but no weight at all since I started regular commuting.

I also now have a line at my belt. Below this are the muscles that work my legs, and have very little fat on them. Above this are the muscles that work my torso. They do very little at all, and have a good dollop of fat around them.

I'm 76 Kg, approaching BMI of 22. I've got big bones (t-shirts and casual shirts have to be large to fit over the shoulders, but hang down like they are on a coat hanger), but don't do muscle mass - I can still almost get both of my hands around my thigh muscles, touching fingers.

Just think "fitter and better" rather than "slimmer and more attractive." Or cut out junk food and go semi-vegetarian (a lot of fat/calories in meat).

Chrisc

Guru
Without altering my diet significantly I've dropped a stone and a half to 12st in 7 months. At the mo it's disappearing at about 1-2lbs a week. This from riding an average 200 miles a month and getting on my rollers in lousy weather.
The waist has come down from 37 to 32" and I'm having the same bother as Gaz and Magnatom in that my trousers are too big in the waist now and the ones that fit the waist are damn tight on the thighs or impossible to get into.
That said it's not a bad problem to be having and I like the fact that the old marks on my leather belt show how far I've come.
I'm kind of looking forward to hitting my ideal weight of 11-4 cos then I'm going to have to scoff pies to maintain it!

jimboalee

kevin_cambs_uk said:
My best tip was reading Nicole's book on Cycling, and she says some where in there for an hours ride you do not really need to eat for the ride as you usually have enough stored for the ride before hitting the wall.

When I knew this I would eat very little in the week, just breakfast at work, weetabix usually, lunch of pasta around 600 calories and then some tuna or cereal for dinner.

Loose around 2 lb a week no problem, come the weekend I eat normally but not excessively and I keep loosing the weight.

I have now got to 13 st 3 lb, which is a bit too much loss so I eat what ever I like at the weekend, stick to the normal weekly eating habit and I find I do not gain any weight.

2 weekends ago, I had

Friday 1 curry, 2 nan breads, rice and onion bajis.
Saturnday chicken dinner done in the oven,
Sunday Fish and chips large portion of !
Monday night chips and 3 battered sausages.

Rest of the week eat my normal commute meals and had not not put any weight on.

When I eat my commute meal at the weekends I loose even more.

I commute every day 17 miles each way in all weathers, and takes an hour each way, mostly flat.

Last 10 days been on holiday and have eaten badly and have put on 6 pounds already ! but once back to work it will soon fall off again.

My eating habits gauge my weight loss and again. its very simple for me now if I ever gave the bike up I would be back to 17 stone in around 6 months ! I just love fish and chips !

This is very true.

I can vary my commute between 20 and 45 miles per day.
The 10 miler in the morning takes 40 mins.
The 22.5 mile longun takes 1 hr 25.

How much extra do I eat? Bugger all!

Oh look, the sun's coming out. Let's go for a quick circle of the No 11 route. ( 50 km ).

1 hr 45 mins later....

"Put the kettle on, I'm gasping for a coffee".

48 hours later....

"Hey, my pinch tests show I've lost 0.5 % bodyfat".
"The sun's shining again. I'm just popping out for a couple of hours."

J4CKO

I am eating less now but enjoy food more, only had a sachet of Porridge, 2 round sandwich and some fruit today until I got home, went out and got a lean chicken kebab and Potato wedges, properly hungry, ate it and felt satisfied but not bloated, nothing else until breakfast tommorow.

I guess it really is that simple, eat less, do more and make what you do eat count, occasional treat but not all day every day.

Waist has gone down 2 inches and have made a new hole in it to take up the slack.

Thing is, though I am sixteen stone and six foot, though there is still quite a bit of podge to get rid of I cant get my head round what I should be, the BMI charts say 10 - 13 stone, I really cant imagine I have another three stone to lose just to get into the normal weight range on the charts, I am overweight but I dont really look that fat now, another stone should have me looking quite trim, but I would still be two stone plus overweight, at the moment I am still in the Obese category according to the charts !

JiMBR

I know where you're coming from J4CKO.

I'm 6'1'' and 18.5 stone and the thought that I have at least 5.5.stones still to go is not good (though I have lost 6 stone :laugh:).

I have the target of 16 stone in my mind...when I get there, I'll re-assess.

I think as long as you feel fairly fit and healthy and are not massively overweight, you have little to be concerned about.

The 'official' figures for BMI etc are something that I don't give a great deal of thought.

Top Bottom