Fitter, but not slimmer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
magnatom said:
:sad:

Oh I would never say otherwise! I can pinch more than an inch!:smile:

I've always known my weight. I needed to when I competed at judo. When I first started uni (back in 1995) I was fighting in the -71kg. I certainly had less muscle then, and I was a bit skinny, but I now weigh about 86kg.

I'd be happier at about 81kg, but it's no biggie. I think fitness is much more important.

Yeah but Mags, how tall are you? 5'4"ft? If you're 6'3"ft and built like Martin Johnson then I guess 86kg is no probs, but if you are as short as Jimmy Cranky then you might want to lose a few kgs :ohmy:.

Portion control. Eat a good breakfast, main meal at lunchtime, eat very little or abstain in the evenings. Drink lots of water. Exercise. Watch the pounds/kgs fall off you.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crankarm said:
Yeah but Mags, how tall are you? 5'4"ft? If you're 6'3"ft and built like Martin Johnson then I guess 86kg is no probs, but if you are as short as Jimmy Cranky then you might want to lose a few kgs :ohmy:.

Portion control. Eat a good breakfast, main meal at lunchtime, eat very little or abstain in the evenings. Drink lots of water. Exercise. Watch the pounds/kgs fall off you.

5ft 10inchs. Somewhere in the middle. :smile: Most of my weight is in my thighs. Really it is! :sad::smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lets not forget that muscle is more dense that fat.

So whilst looking at your weight you have to take into account how much more muscle you have.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Went to gyms for 12 years and came across all sorts of advice. Don't eat this, don't eat that, avoid carbs at this time, eat more protein, and so on.

Then came across an old straight-talking Aussie fitness instructor.

He said, "Son, if you wanna to lose weight eat less than you sh1t out. All the rest is bullsh1t".

Obviously, he meant consume less calories than you burn, but his way of putting it was awesome.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

BentMikey said:
Have a salad Magnatom! 86kg FFS! I'm also 5'10", and I'm currently winter-fat at 73kg.

:ohmy::tongue:
:smile:

To be fair I do actually have a fair amount of muscle. I really was underweight when fighting (judo) at -71kgs. I only started winning medals when I moved up a weight category to -78kg (later changed to -81kgs).

I would be ill at -73kg! :cry:

gaz said:
Lets not forget that muscle is more dense that fat.

So whilst looking at your weight you have to take into account how much more muscle you have.

quite marginally though - about 18% - you have to replace quite a lot of fat with muscle before it makes any real difference.

I find that my day to day cycling keeps my weight down to what I would call my equilibrium weight (still higher than I would like) - to lose any significant weight I have to go away for several weeks and tour 7 hours a day - with luck my weight bounces back to no more than my equilibrium weight over the winter and so the cycle goes on

OP
OP
M

magnatom

MacB said:
Well that's one mystery solved and I thought I was just joking when I referred to him as 'Miss Piggy'

:cry::ohmy:

You really ought to use smiles when you are joking......you are joking here, aren't you.....?:smile:

Top Bottom