fitting a chainset for idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
You are taking on a big job for someone who knows very little.

BBs comes in many sizes (shell width, axle length)and there are many different tools depending on the brand and model - you'll probably need different tools for the one you're removing and the new one you fit.
The size is almost certainly not going to fit unless you're very very lucky.
The front mech clamp could be a different size too, not to mention needing a chain splitting tool and crank removing tool, again, different for square taper BB, ISIS or Hollowtech2s.
Block tools differ depending on if it's a screw-on type or a cassette and again there are many fittings of screw-on types - eg. suntour, shimano, regina to name just a few. If it's a cassette you'll need the chainwhip too.

I'm sure it would be much cheaper to visit the LBS. Maybe try some smaller jobs first and build your tool kit slowly - or you could just blow a small fortune on tools now - after all, it's a good investment for the future (although fittings and sizes tend to change all the time, requiring new tools!!!)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
will the BB defo have to come out? can't I fit the big chain wheel from the other bike in place of the current one?

£30 for the bits to shift the current cassette I'm told?

and no real idea on the dérailleur but isn't it something like one out one in as a unit?

perhaps I'll speak to lbs and sewe what they think, they've seen both bikes

thanks

e-rider

crappy member
The rear mech is the least of your worries and is the more straight forward part to transfer, especially if the systems have the same number of gears and a similar range of gears.

gbb

Legendary Member
You seem to have several things going on Tynan, i assume you DONT need to, or want to change the BB.
First thing is...are the cranks you want to transfer the same fitment..ie square taper, octalink etc. If theyre not...they're not. If it is...no problem at all really.
A crank extractor isnt expensive and reasonably easy to use.

The cassette...is it a screw on freewheel or splined cassette.
Again..is the wheel youre going to swap it onto the same system.
I used a cassette tool, clamped it into a vice and placed the wheel onto it. You then use the rim as leverage to release the cassette/ freewheel.
Moderately easy...

Rear derailleur...easy to swap, quite easy to adjust if you see the Shimano instruction on Youtube..it talks you through what to do (adjusting)...really quite easy.

Even if you need to change the BB...it neednt be difficult. I just took out an old style axle and bearing cups off a 20year old Raleigh and fitted a sealed BB....it was easy in my case. The old cups came out real easy.

Its VERY satisfying to DIY. If any part of it gets the better of you...you still have the LBS round the corner. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
thanks for those last two replies and indeed all of them

ta for that link to the tool kit, that seems very reasonable considering I was looking at £30 for a chain whip and the other thing, got the big blue book this morning, a very quick skim has given me the impression it's a bit more fiddly than I thought

wait for the new bike to arrive in a few weeks and then I can potter on this one at my leisure without pressure, expect to see this thread rise then

ta gents

Top Bottom