fitting a chainset for idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
I've decided to keep my old bike when the new one comes, it's had a new BB and new hubs front and rear so the only thing that's really shagged is the chainset, and it really is worn out

my three month old Cannondale Adventure One that got wrecked is rusting gently in the garden, it occurs to me that I could transfer that across to the old wreck, will it transfer across ok to the old Scott Atacama? (something like that)

what tools would I need? I'm not awfully bike savvy but there's not going to be any bearings and internal messing about it there?

chainwhip I suppose what else and roughly what would the tools needed cost, allen keys is about all I have at present

LBS is literally 100yards away but this seems like a job I can tackle on my own and advance my technical knowledge from brake block changing

F

Flange

BBs are mostly sealed units. The tool to remove the chainset depends on the chainset, but you won't need a chainwhip. My advice is to get the Park Bike manual and have a read first.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
perhaps I'm using 'chainset' incorrectly, the whole shebang, front cranks, block and dérailleur

assuming I got that lot right as well, I thought the whip was needed to get the block off?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
ta

ordered the big blue book, it can take over from 'a chronology of WW11' as my breakfast reading

the cassette looks easy enough, suppose the cogs? at the font will be too?

just the fiddly dérailleur bits I guess

but the parts can move back and forth between different makes of bike yeah? universal fit?

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
the BB is as new, fitted a month odd ago so presumably I'm just bolting on the gears from the wrecked bike?

simonali

Guru
You'll need a lock ring spanner and chain-whip for the cassette and a crank extractor tool for the chainset. Probably 30 quids worth of tools there. LBS might do it for the same price?!

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
£30 seems alright and I'd like to learn how to do it

granted LBS will do it in a day (I won't) and can deal with any problems (I won't)

I'm going to have a crack at it I think, it's time I got some learning

At least I'm going to have a go before letting the LBS do it

Wait for the big blue book to arrive I guess although so far what I've read online makes it seem a lot easier than I expected

this place reads well

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

thanks all, spec simon for producing the magic number

02GF74

Über Member
bottom brackets coome in difference widths but you can measrue both frames, they also come with different spindle widths too.

depending on how long ago you fitted the bb it, the cups can be a right sode to undo, especially on a steel frame.

the crank bb cup is LH thread.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
the bb has to come out?

I'm thinking the small and middle chain wheels(?) have seen almost no wear at all and would continue to see almost no wear so at the front I could get away with just changing the big chain wheel which most def has seen wear, this would be the emergency bike and messing about with the kids in the forest bike

and then the cassette and the derailleur, and a new chain, the one on the cannondale has gone rather rusty

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Any workstand that saves you having to bend over to work on the bike is ok, it won't be long now you'll soon be building a bike from the frame up.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
topcat1 said:
Any workstand that saves you having to bend over to work on the bike is ok, it won't be long now you'll soon be building a bike from the frame up.

:blush:

Bought it, how bad can it be, has to be better than what I do now

free delivery is nice

I am new to this and have found it fairly easy to get into it all.

Oil up the old bike if it has been sitting outside all winter.

I did not bother with a chain whip to get a cassette off, just put it into the workmate vice in some soft wood (or direct into a crap workmate) on the big cog and it was no problem. I did buy the fittings to remove the cassette and bottom bracket though.

Top Bottom