Fitting a new saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chappers1983

I've just had a go at fitting a new saddle for the first time (previous ones have been done at my LBS when having a proper bike fit). I've tried to get it as close to the position of my previous saddle - which was perfect and gave me no trouble - but as I've been doing it by eye I'm fully expecting its not going to be mm perfect.

I fully expect that my first ride out on it will result in me being slightly uncomfortable, and thus there will be a process of trial and error as I fine tune it.

What I'm looking to know is what are the tell-tale signs of it not being in the right position? As in, where will it hurt if the saddle is too far back, the angle isn't right etc?

Any help provided would be appreciated, for both my enjoyment of the ride and the health of my undercarriage/backside

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#adjustment gives some ideas. Basically, if it hurts, either the position is wrong, or the saddle is wrong for you. The classic one to worry about is if it hurts right in the middle of your underneath, which often means the saddle is too far back and you're sliding forward onto the nose... most of the others are just sore or cause sores AFAIK.

MikeG

Guru
As derrick says, if you find a saddle you like, hang on to it, even if you change your bike. Chances are that whoever you sell the bike to will change it anyway, so you may as well stick any old thing on there for the sale, and but your old saddle on your new bike. To get it in the right position, you might have taken a template and some measurements of your old one in its position on your old bike so that you could relate it exactly to the BB and the stem (and to horizontal). You'll remember for next time!!!

OP
OP
C

chappers1983

Sorry I should have clarified - the old saddle is worn out. Its lost tension so it flexes excessively and squeaks horrendously. Nothing I could do would rectify it, hence the replacement

S-Express

Sorry I should have clarified - the old saddle is worn out. Its lost tension so it flexes excessively and squeaks horrendously. Nothing I could do would rectify it, hence the replacement
Presumably, you are replacing the old saddle for an identical new one. In which case, simply measure the existing height and setback from fixed points on the bike before removing the old one.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Make sure that the new saddle is set at the correct angle for you - e.g. I like my saddles flat, (I check them with a spirit level) - with some seat posts it's easy to accidentally tilt it up or down - and a saddle where the nose is slightly tilted upwards will be uncomfortable (for me) whereas the fore and aft adjustment has much less effect.

Last edited:

cubey

Über Member

Tin Pot

Guru
Make sure that the new saddle is set at the correct angle for you - e.g. I like my saddles flat, (I check them with a spirit level) - with some seat posts it's easy to accidentally tilt it up or down and, a saddle where the nose is slightly tilted upwards will be uncomfortable (for me) whereas the fore and aft adjustment has much less effect.

And check the new saddle has the same geometry as the previous.

I replaced a Selle Italia X1 2014 model with a 2016, the height had changed, and the positioning of the rails was further forward...

GuyBoden

Guru
Once you have your saddle adjusted how you want it. (It should be very comfy on rides.)

I note down the following measurements for next time I change my saddle:

Measure from the top of the BB to the back of the saddle.
Measure from top of the BB to the top of the handlebars (cc).
Measure from the back of saddle to the top of the handlebars (cc).

I use this triangulation of measurements to setup the initial position of a new saddle/handle bars, then fine tune.

Top Bottom