Fitting a new threaded headset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
You don't need a Dremel. All you need is a section of tube around 10mm diameter. Drill a small hole 25 to 30mm away from one end through one wall only. Make a cut with a hacksaw blade from the hole to the end:

image.jpeg

Now cut a strip of sandpaper 180 to 240 grit and thread one end into the slot. Make sure the drill is spinning the way to tighten the paper rough side out.

image.jpeg

Bingo! No need for a Dremel. I make knives and use this method all the time. Next step is to try to fashion some sort of tool that will accept different diameter tubes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Makita. Posh git!

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Is it an Italian bike? I'll have to go look at Sheldon Brown site on headsets to check sizes but some fork races were larger depending on origin.
No, it's an early 80s Falcon.

It's not just the fork race, the fixed cup and cone are both also too big to fit - it's as if the headset is made for a slightly narrower fork crown and a slightly wider head tube.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
You don't need a Dremel. All you need is a section of tube around 10mm diameter. Drill a small hole 25 to 30mm away from one end through one wall only. Make a cut with a hacksaw blade from the hole to the end:

View attachment 361982

Now cut a strip of sandpaper 180 to 240 grit and thread one end into the slot. Make sure the drill is spinning the way to tighten the paper rough side out.

View attachment 361985

Bingo! No need for a Dremel. I make knives and use this method all the time. Next step is to try to fashion some sort of tool that will accept different diameter tubes.
That looks pretty neat.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
80's Falcon were Asian, I wonder if it's some funny far east size like JIS ?
If it helps narrow it down, it has a label that says "Hand built by Elswick-Falcon Cycles Limited" and it's 531.

According to Sheldon, JIS used a 27mm crown race inside diameter.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Does your headset box say ISO on it? Or have you thrown the box away.....

The Frame should be ISO size.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Does your headset box say ISO on it? Or have you thrown the box away.....

The Frame should be ISO size.
The label on the box says...
model PASSAGE
size 30.2 / 26.4
color C.P
(The make is Tangeseiki)

Those measurements seem to fit Sheldon's figures for ISO.

midlife

Guru
Tange make great headsets. Falcon however were like Forrest Gump's box is chocolates; you never knew what you were going to get!

I worked in a bike shop in the 70's and early 80's and we sold Falcons. What came sometimes bore no relation to the spec in the brochure. At the factory they might have just used odd frame components on your bike, mismatched frame and forks sprayed up the same colour. What Falcon is it?

I'd let a good LBS to sort it as it could become a real headache....

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Tange make great headsets. Falcon however were like Forrest Gump's box is chocolates; you never knew what you were going to get!

I worked in a bike shop in the 70's and early 80's and we sold Falcons. What came sometimes bore no relation to the spec in the brochure. At the factory they might have just used odd frame components on your bike, mismatched frame and forks sprayed up the same colour. What Falcon is it?

I'd let a good LBS to sort it as it could become a real headache....
Hmm, that's interesting - I'd be quite amused if I didn't have one of them :blush:

It's a Falcon Cotswold frame I have, which cost me £40 - there's a couple of photos in this thread. I'm sure I can get this headset to fit with a bit of filing and reaming - it's actually not too far out. And if I cause any irreparable damage, it won't be a huge loss.

Cheers,
Alan

midlife

Guru
Blimey that's a good price for a frame :smile:. Bit of filing and work with some wet and dry will see you through...

Top Bottom