Fitting a seven speed cassette to a rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have been having a never ending series of broken spokes over the last few weeks and I have decided that a new wheelset is the way to go, at least until I can afford a new bike.

I was going to have some fitted yesterday at the LBS but the owner started saying that because it is an old seven speed cassette that it would be tricky and expensive to fit.

I am looking at wheel sets on eBay, they seem to go for around £30-40 used which is spot on. I would need to know if they would work on my bike, I am sure the dropout spacing is 127mm but I can't be sure as I have never measured it. I was told that older bike can't take the newer 130mm hubs without spreading the stays slightly.

Also what work is required to fit a seven speed cassette and would I have to get new cogs or could I use the ones currently on my bike, they are around 6 months old?

Manonabike

Über Member
I have been having a never ending series of broken spokes over the last few weeks and I have decided that a new wheelset is the way to go, at least until I can afford a new bike.

I was going to have some fitted yesterday at the LBS but the owner started saying that because it is an old seven speed cassette that it would be tricky and expensive to fit.

I am looking at wheel sets on eBay, they seem to go for around £30-40 used which is spot on. I would need to know if they would work on my bike, I am sure the dropout spacing is 127mm but I can't be sure as I have never measured it. I was told that older bike can't take the newer 130mm hubs without spreading the stays slightly.

Also what work is required to fit a seven speed cassette and would I have to get new cogs or could I use the ones currently on my bike, they are around 6 months old?

The space of your dropout is probably 126mm so if you have a steel frame you can cold set the frame and use a spacer like this to get around the problem. Alternatively, you can have these for £125.

Top Bottom