Fitting a Tongsheng tsdz2 on an ice sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
voyager

voyager

E- tadpole Triker
Duuuurh....thanks Emma......bad day obviously...

Cheers

Bob
The standard fitment has a bolt to stop it pulling upwards towards the down tube . So fitting it against it stops it pulling back . Any rotational force forward would be minimal as the chain thrust would still try and pull the unit against the mech post .

Regards Emma

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi voyager and people - I'm new here, so sorry if waking threads up after 6 months isn't done

I'm doing the same ICE trike (Adventure, rear suspension) electrify as described here - 48V !2A Tongsheng TSDZ2 (Thanks Woosh bikes!) Most of it is explained in the voyager pix so I hope you don't mind me copying

Three things:

Cable extensions - it looks to me like the cable with six internal wires needs the bought extension. There are too many ways of wiring six wires up wrong! The battery to motor cable looks two wire and easy. The other is less essential and might even fit

I was thinking of putting the battery on the back of the seat, low as I can and at a roughly 45 degree angle - it's 3 kilos and it'll balance the bag of tools on the other side, and I'd like it on the suspended bit of the trike. I can also disguise it as another bag (London's a bit like that). Does this seem a bad idea? It'll be a higher up mounting place so I'm a bit worried by stability

The other thing is - how powerful is the motor? I was planning on running a 42T/34T twin chainwheel front to a Shimano alfine 11 hub gear (I don't get on with derailleurs - I'm always in too high a gear starting off and you can change the alfine gear when stopped). The alfine has a single cog on the rear wheel and the internal gears run from 53% to 210% so if that rear cog is 20 teeth it's the equivalent of having a rear cassette of about 38 (20 / 0.53) to 10 (20 / 2.1). I have a 20" rear wheel. That's pretty close to the figures given by voyager - 34-to-11. What stepness a hill can you get up running 34 front to 34 back? I can put a bigger cog on the rear wheel - up to 23 teeth - but I'm not sure the alfine chain tensioner will cope with the diameter of that cog. I'm not worried about the other end of the range; we don't have mountains in East London, but some of the slopes by the locks and on the bridges over the canals can get steep and on a narrow crowded towpath you don't get a run at them

Generally, I'm fairly confident I can do it - the build and the slope

Thanks all - Charli

If you ping voyager like this: @voyager, it's more likely she will see your post.

Hi @voyager and people - I'm new here, so sorry if waking threads up after 6 months isn't done

I'm doing the same ICE trike (Adventure, rear suspension) electrify as described here - 48V !2A Tongsheng TSDZ2 (Thanks Woosh bikes!) Most of it is explained in the voyager pix so I hope you don't mind me copying

Three things:

Cable extensions - it looks to me like the cable with six internal wires needs the bought extension. There are too many ways of wiring six wires up wrong! The battery to motor cable looks two wire and easy. The other is less essential and might even fit

I was thinking of putting the battery on the back of the seat, low as I can and at a roughly 45 degree angle - it's 3 kilos and it'll balance the bag of tools on the other side, and I'd like it on the suspended bit of the trike. I can also disguise it as another bag (London's a bit like that). Does this seem a bad idea? It'll be a higher up mounting place so I'm a bit worried by stability

The other thing is - how powerful is the motor? I was planning on running a 42T/34T twin chainwheel front to a Shimano alfine 11 hub gear (I don't get on with derailleurs - I'm always in too high a gear starting off and you can change the alfine gear when stopped). The alfine has a single cog on the rear wheel and the internal gears run from 53% to 210% so if that rear cog is 20 teeth it's the equivalent of having a rear cassette of about 38 (20 / 0.53) to 10 (20 / 2.1). I have a 20" rear wheel. That's pretty close to the figures given by voyager - 34-to-11. What stepness a hill can you get up running 34 front to 34 back? I can put a bigger cog on the rear wheel - up to 23 teeth - but I'm not sure the alfine chain tensioner will cope with the diameter of that cog. I'm not worried about the other end of the range; we don't have mountains in East London, but some of the slopes by the locks and on the bridges over the canals can get steep and on a narrow crowded towpath you don't get a run at them

Generally, I'm fairly confident I can do it - the build and the slope

Thanks all - Charli

Tongsheng

Tongsheng
Hello, I have a Tongsheng on my Trike. When fitting I realised how easy and it made more sense to have the motor where you have yours. The only thing that stopped me was the fact that's the cables are high and forward facing and more susceptible to water damage over time leading to me making a bracket. I did toy with the idea of taking the plastic plate off and beefing up the waterproofing if only with a decent silicon gel but opted to make a bracket instead utilising some of the existing hardware that came with the kit. This can be done on the ice trikes and similar frame configurations with a simple P bracket. I eventually beefed up the waterproofing because that's what I do. It wont hurt to have a look anyway. I'm of the opinion that all electric cables coming from anywhere it can get wet should always be facing downwards, or be waterproofed to within an inch of its life. I dare say you've already thought of this but still worth a mention. Anyway enjoy your lecky trikes. John

DRHysted

Guru
Another TSDZ2 modified tadpole rider here, although mine is a KMX. Did it so my Mum who’s in her 70s can easily take it out, but found it too much fun to use commuting, Turbo mode 1st gear = wheel spin.

Top Bottom