Fitting an Akubra

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bet there's a conventional hatter's way of tightening a hat. It's just that we have lost those skills.

I'd try fitting a strip of leather inside it, either under the internal sweat band or glued on top of it.

I was thinking that as well: these days I have to ask people on the internet: a couple of generations ago I'd just ask a dad or an uncle.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The bloke in that video is using sticky neoprene tape of the sort that's used for insulating air-conditioning pipework. I've got lots left over from my solar hot water project and could pop a length in the post for you; you'd need to cut it length ways to size and it is fiercely sticky so once it's installed, you're committed. PM your address if you'd like to try some without having to buy a huge reel.

Otherwise try tapping an air conditioning engineer for a piece.

The bloke in that video is using sticky neoprene tape of the sort that's used for insulating air-conditioning pipework. I've got lots left over from my solar hot water project and could pop a length in the post for you; you'd need to cut it length ways to size and it is fiercely sticky so once it's installed, you're committed. PM your address if you'd like to try some without having to buy a huge reel.

Thanks for the offer. I'll have to wait until I go to my apartment to check the video The server blocks them here so I don't really know what you are talking about yet...

Thanks for the replies. The consensus here and on the forum linked by @classic33 seem to be that the band will adjust to my head so a temporary fix is better, so I've rolled up some newspaper and slipped it in which has made the hat tighter. I'll see how it works on tomorrows commute.

Many thanks @Globalti for the offer, but I'll see how this fix works- if the advice is correct I'll need to remove anything I insert as the band tightens. If the newspaper is effective I can cut some of the leather band out of the old Akubra and use that: the newspaper is a bit lumpy on the outside of the hat so the leather should hopefully be less obvious.

Will update tomorrow: I know you're all terribly excited.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the replies. The consensus here and on the forum linked by @classic33 seem to be that the band will adjust to my head so a temporary fix is better, so I've rolled up some newspaper and slipped it in which has made the hat tighter. I'll see how it works on tomorrows commute.
You misssed out on a chance to get something else.

Many thanks @Globalti for the offer, but I'll see how this fix works- if the advice is correct I'll need to remove anything I insert as the band tightens. If the newspaper is effective I can cut some of the leather band out of the old Akubra and use that: the newspaper is a bit lumpy on the outside of the hat so the leather should hopefully be less obvious.

Will update tomorrow: I know you're all terribly excited.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The choice of newspaper is crucial because whatever is printed in it will seep into your brain by electro-molecular osmosis, a well-known phenomenon. So you might find all kinds of weird thoughts floating into your mind.

Top Bottom