Fitting lights to a rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cal

I've fitted a pannier rack to the back of my back (rucksack was too uncomfortable) but this has meant I've had to resite the rear lights. I want one on each side of the rack and possibly one in the middle but I'm stumped as to what I need to do this - are there either brackets available to fix some sort of tube to a rack or some sort of universal mounting? They're currently fixed on with ties but it's really only a temporary quite roughlooking fix. And I don't really want to be buying 3 new lights when I've already got half a dozen.

Can anyone please offer some inspiration?

jo8king

Cateye make a "rear carrier mounting" (CA5342250) for a light on the centre, back of a rack, this may be adapted to the sides I guess?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Oh yes indeedy, you can get all sorts of attachments but you could also make your own, depending on access to tools etc. The way I did it:-

bit of tubing from an old broom/mop handle, this was a thin walled metal one, cut length I wanted and then flattened lower part in vice
drilled a couple of holes in lower part
put a piece of handelbar foam tubing on upper part and used an old bar end cap in end
attached to rack via two bolts and used anti shake washers
then attached standard Smartflash light brackets to the upper part angled to give maximum coverage, I put two on but had enough space to fit 4 if desired

lots of similar ways of doing this and you could use a variety of things to make the fitting. Sounds more complicated than it is, took me about 20 mins for the first one and I made one for someone else that only took 10 mins.

Alternatively you could buy a rear light that mounts to the rack, I only did the above as I already had 3 Smartflash lights and didn't want to spend more on different lights or alternate brackets.

OP
OP
Cal

Cal

bit of tubing from an old broom/mop handle, this was a thin walled metal one, cut length I wanted and then flattened lower part in vice
drilled a couple of holes in lower part
put a piece of handelbar foam tubing on upper part and used an old bar end cap in end
attached to rack via two bolts and used anti shake washers

This is what I'm envisaging (the amount of bits of tubing in my shed is unreal) what sort of bolts did you use? I know what I need I just can't think of the correct terms.

MacB

This is what I'm envisaging (the amount of bits of tubing in my shed is unreal) what sort of bolts did you use? I know what I need I just can't think of the correct terms.

I had some galvanised ones in the bits drawer in the garage, just bog standard, bit too long but you can always trim them with a hacksaw if need be. I've just been to have a nose in the garage and I probably have enough tubing left to make about 3 more, and all the other bits needed. If you want I'll throw you one together tonight and post it to you with some bolts and washers etc to fit it.

If you want the holes drilled for mounting then you need to measure them on the rack for me, or i can leave that bit for you to do once you have the fitting.

OP
OP
Cal

Cal

Thank you for your very kind offer, I'm going to have a go at this myself though. Got cupboards full of 'stuff' that might be useful. Also might have a wander/cycle down to the local diy shed over the weekend.

MacB

Thank you for your very kind offer, I'm going to have a go at this myself though. Got cupboards full of 'stuff' that might be useful. Also might have a wander/cycle down to the local diy shed over the weekend.

Good luck, if it helps I've just uploaded 3 pics of my homemade effort to my flikr account:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37729119@N08/with/6333963303/

Davidc

Guru
Self amalgamating rubber tape is useful and cheap for adapting seat stay clamps.

Loads of commercial options as noted above for the centre one.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
CRC do mounts for the standard 'smart' style clips, and others do a cateye one (mine came from wiggle). I also have an TL-LD500 on one of my bikes which isn't the brightest but screws directly onto the rack plate and has a pretty good reflector built in.

Top Bottom