Fitting New Bathroom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Well done ! Sorry about your loss as well . Bet you would have done a better job than the f...n plumber who did my bathroom!! He is back today to fix his utter clustersf.......k of a mistake with my radiators! Seriously this job has been the worst thing ever and I should of just done it myself !!
It’s been great to take my mind off things......

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Tiling looks good and ready for grouting

Trickedem

Guru
Looking good.
Its one of those things I've never attempted. We will be doing up our kitchen in a few months and have been thinking about doing the tiling myself. Have a go. If it's crap looking I'll rip it all off and get a professional in.
I've got an electric tile cutter you can borrow.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Looking good.
Its one of those things I've never attempted. We will be doing up our kitchen in a few months and have been thinking about doing the tiling myself. Have a go. If it's crap looking I'll rip it all off and get a professional in.
at least if you do it and its crap, its only the materials you have wasted, thats how i look at it....if a pro did it and i hated, then ive wasted the labour costs too......lucky for me its not my first tiling rodeo

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Also a cutting disc for a grinder as well for the very awkward cuts :okay: . I managed to cut out socket holes in all my tiles when i did up my utility room.
there's defo an art to cutting around light switches and sockets that's for sure

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
All about having the right tools and knowing what you need.

Hicky

Guru
May take you up on that
In fact, I think I may rope you in to help :okay:
Have a go on a piece of wood I'd say a min a sq M screwed onto a wall depending on the tile size, I had a go in my last house in the bathroom having never done it before too. You can tell as ever where you start and finish by the improvement in your work...it helps having a decent base to work from ie a nice flat wall rather than ropey back base. I'd say the same for most diy work due to skill fade.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Tiling - something I can do well but I absolutely hate doing. I also hate letting someone else do it for me because they inevitably do it differently to how I would have - things like centring on the wall vertically and horizontally, treatment at external corners and so on. I've done a couple of bathrooms and a dining room floor (floor is much easier). I made the mistake of putting in a mosaic frieze in one bathroom - that was a nightmare to both install and grout. However, having sworn and cursed and thrown some things around, it is immensely satisfying to step back after that final polishing wipe and see the end result.

I have a bench rotary tile cutter, nibblers, a scorer, a tile 'hacksaw' and a 'snap'-type tile cutter - between them I can get all the cuts and shapes I need. I started out using a combined adhesive and grout but have graduated to individual versions of each which works much better.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The bath is now fitted into the space, waste all connected and leak free. Taps need a 22mm to 15mm pushfit pipes, so will collect and fit them tomorrow.....just need to touch up some of the paint and grouting

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Curious @jowwy why is the towel rail next to the bath when it is normally seen on the opposite wall of the bath?
Because originally the was a shower cubicle to right of the towel rail and we didn’t want to employ a plumber to pull up pipes and move the towel rail as there isn’t really any other position for it....as the wall opposite the bath has a full sink unit and toilet, it’s a small bathroom

it was also more important that the bath got fitted this winter as my partners health deteriorates at this time of the year.....and she can now soak in the bath and ease her pain and fatigue ....

it wouldn’t be everyone‘s choice to leave it there, but for now it suites a purpose

Top Bottom