Fitting new folded tyres....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barnet Goat

I won't bore you with loads of context. But as a new cyclist replacing their first tyre I bought a Schwalbe Durano Plus folding tyre. I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount//type of tyres available and I confess I had no idea that a 'folding' tyre meant that it got pushed through my letterbox in a small box and does not actually appear to be in the shape of a tyre.

One hour of grappling with it and one hour of searching on the internet for advice and I am none the wiser as to how to actually fit this thing. I have had no problems taking my original tyre on and off when replacing an inner tube.

I would be very grateful if someone could provide some basic advice, point me to an instructional video or just tell me to return it and go to my bike shop and pay an expert to fit a tyre!

Neilsmith

I found this on YouTube seems ok

View: http://youtu.be/W9N3U2iQ598

MikeW-71

Veteran
What I tend to do with new folding tyres is to unfold and pop an inner tube inside them with some air in it. Leave them like that for a bit, then you should be able to fit as normal.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just open it out into a tyre shape. Fit one side, pop in the tube, then fit the other. I prefer folding tyres. Much lighter. Also pop some talc on the tube.

Make sure the tyre is at room temp, makes fitting easy.

Now you've got the hang of it it's time to move up a level - try a non-folding 20" Schwalbe Marathon Plus, at the side of the road, in the dark, and it's both near freezing and raining.....^_^ That's what I have on the front of my recumbent, and I hope I never have to....:ninja:

Folders are much easier!

OP
OP
B

Barnet Goat

........I found a few videos about the Marathon Plus, they made it look easy......albeit not under the circumstances you describe!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Folding tyres are a bit floppy and reluctant straight out of the box, but they get more tyre shaped if you give them time.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I didn't find the continental video very helpful. It invites you to use a new tube when it might not be necessary. It indicates to start opposite the valve.....using this method, you might end with a valve that is not straight. I start at the valve. It doesn't warn you that you might pinch the tube by using levers when mounting the last bit of tyre.
I also use talcum powder.
Warming up the tyre is something i have never done but seems like a good idea for new tyres.

screenman

Legendary Member
I always start opposite the valve for obvious reasons, never to my knowledge had a bent valve. I have though had a lot of practise over the last 50 years.

Top Bottom