Fitting new tubeless tyres to new tubeless rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
So this has gone well. Just took the tyre off to try changing the bead that goes on second, and the rim tape has been punctured at some point by all my wrestling.

I love cycling. It is not a bottomless pit for my money.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Ok so for anyone still interested in this sorry saga, Hunt are very kindly sending me some new rim tape...and whilst I wait, I did manage to get the rear tyre seated - so bit of practice. Just have to remember how when I come to do it again.

Now when it comes to rim tape, it looks like there's punctures over 4-5 spoke lengths (not all). Am I better to peel up the existing tape and start fresh, or can I get away with taping over that stretch without having to do the whole wheel?

Xenopus

I sometimes zip-tie the tyre to the wheel as I mount the tyre, so it doesn’t un-mount itself as I prise the last section over the rim. I dread being out in the pouring rain and having a puncture that doesn’t seal. It would be almost impossible to insert an inner tube with cold hands and just a couple of tyre levers.

boydj

Legendary Member
I sometimes zip-tie the tyre to the wheel as I mount the tyre, so it doesn’t un-mount itself as I prise the last section over the rim. I dread being out in the pouring rain and having a puncture that doesn’t seal. It would be almost impossible to insert an inner tube with cold hands and just a couple of tyre levers.

Get yourself a tubeless repair kit and always make sure you have plenty of sealant in the tyre. I've been running tubeless on one bike for a couple of years and have yet to have a puncture (that I'm aware of). I carry a repair kit and a tube, just in case. The repair kit is similar to that used for car tyres, but on a smaller scale.

Top Bottom