Fitting new tubeless tyres to new tubeless rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Glad I checked rotation direction first.... wouldn't want to repeat that too soon :hyper:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bit of advice, don't do it in the house or anywhere you don't want to be cleaning gunk off. Heard too many stories of badly fitted tyres (user error) popping off the rim, followed by gunk that covers the room. Not easy to wipe off.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Bit of advice, don't do it in the house or anywhere you don't want to be cleaning gunk off. Heard too many stories of badly fitted tyres (user error) popping off the rim, followed by gunk that covers the room. Not easy to wipe off.
Yeah I intend to do the sealant outdoors. Just trying to get the beads over the rim in the warmth of the house.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Tyres have a rotation direction if they have any tread. Many aren't directional.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Neat Fairy Liquid is as good a lube as any.

Only apply to the section of bead which is hard to get over the rim, because once fitted you want the tyre to grip the wheel.

Extreme over lubrication can result in the tyre continuing to spin when you stop the rim with the brakes.

As an example of overkill, Schwalbe make a tyre lube which is designed to evaporate in a few minutes, preventing any braking catastrophes.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Giving up on the rear wheel. Tried soapy water, radiator and dust. The fact is the bead just isn't slack enough. Calling my local mechanic to see if he can do it.

Top Bottom