Fitting new tubeless tyres to new tubeless rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

The radiator was a good tip
I was about to suggest leave tyre warm water ...and you should use soapy water to help seal anyway
And hopefully you heard the loud pop once the tyres did seal ( no pop no seal )

Re rotation..a rd tyre has no real tread as such so it not matter and will certainly not hinder efficiency

I try my best to explain the myths of tread
On the side wall a tyre will have an arrow for rotation direction ..
If not the knoblaz on mtb/gravel/cylecross..will have a form of square knobs of which one side will be slopped or V shape if you look carefully ..the slope/V is meant to hit the tarmac 1st and therefore it forces water ( rain ) to the sides of the knobs and into the deeper grooves where the tyre doesn't touch the tarmac
Thus giving grip by displacing the rain into those grooves
You will notice car tyre Mark's in the rain where you can see the tyre width and also the small lines within the tyre mark's...again this is the tyre pushing surface water away from the grip area of the tyre allowing the knobs to grip
Now... car tyres have treads to grip as the tyre is also wide and therefore has a flat area on the rd surface ..if there was no tread lines then the water I front of the tyre would build up and due to the speed of the car and the flat bit pushing water infront of the tyre ..it would eventually skid off due to the flat area of the tyre riding over a sheet of water
Cars cannot do this because of the tread
Grand prix cars can do this when they select smooth tyres with no tread ...if it rains in these tyres then you will see they slide off the track ..this is called aquaplaning
A bike tyre being skinny has no flat areas such so it can never actually aquaplane in the wet and the tyre is getting its grip from the rough tarmac surface
So its also arguable that tyre tread patterns for tarmac surface are a total myth and just marketing tyre compound can make a difference
Back to mtb/gravel/cylecross
They do not use tarmac so they do need grip and you may find the serious competitors turn there tyres back to front so that the sheer drop side of tbe knob ( behind the slope V side) is at the front of rotation so that it digs Into the soft mud/gravel and gives much better grip

Hopefully that ease your mind concerning rotation

Makes sod all difference on a road tyre, treaded or slick. The treads are only for show, they do not disperse water.
Surely these have to be correct rotation, wife's got them on her Spesh?

Lookrider

Surely these have to be correct rotation, wife's got them on her Spesh?
View attachment 570281
If you look at this tyre in the photo
The V is made from tbe centre but staggered one behind each other forming the " broken " V
So this tyre must turn anti clockwise in the photo so when the centre hits the tarmac it pushes water down the staggered V and out the sides at say 5 o/k and 7o/c looking fron the bike seat as you ride
If there was no tread or groove or V a rd tyre would displace the water at 3 o/c and 9 o/c due to its very limited tarmac/tyre surface interface
Its purely marketing to sell tyres with different tread on rd bikes
I guess because we as customers ask this of minufacters and that is why they supply them ....they will never admit one tyre will do
Don't t concern yourself with tread grip but the compound is much more appropriate
A soft compound will grip a little more than hard BUT will be harder to pedal resulting in less efficiency and slower riding ...now I know that will definitely rattle you as it's much more value that we can ride further faster efficient
Than selecting a tread that does no real value

Lookrider

The V is made from tbe centre but staggered one behind each other forming the " broken " V
So this tyre must turn anti clockwise in the photo so when the centre hits the tarmac it pushes water down the staggered V and out the sides at say 5 o/k and 7o/c looking fron the bike seat as you ride
If there was no tread or groove or V a rd tyre would displace the water at 3 o/c and 9 o/c due to its very limited tarmac/tyre surface interface
Its purely marketing to sell tyres with different tread on rd bikes
I guess because we as customers ask this of minufacters and that is why they supply them ....they will never admit one tyre will do
Don't t concern yourself with tread grip but the compound is much more appropriate
A soft compound will grip a little more than hard BUT will be harder to pedal resulting in less efficiency and slower riding ...now I know that will definitely rattle you as it's much more value that we can ride further faster efficient

Sorry
Even if you put that tyre back to front it will still displace water at 9 and 3o/c
It is just designed to go anti clockwise
But it matters not

Yep that makes sense to me. Noticed the GP 5000's i fitted this week were softer and stickier than previous Schwalbe Duranos .... winner if I get zero punctures as before!

Lookrider

Sorry again
Got threw by the photo
The water will be displaced at 11o/c and 1o/c by the tread on that tyre when installed by the manufactures advice
I think its reasonable to say that we agree tread matters not on a rd bike

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Sorry again
Got threw by the photo
The water will be displaced at 11o/c and 1o/c by the tread on that tyre when installed by the manufactures advice
I think its reasonable to say that we agree tread matters not on a rd bike
The tread will not displace any water at all unless you can alter the molecular structure of the water. The tread is no more than an etching on the surface of the rubber.

Colin S

Über Member
Giving up on the rear wheel. Tried soapy water, radiator and dust. The fact is the bead just isn't slack enough. Calling my local mechanic to see if he can do it.
Do you have an old metal wheel you can put in on first with big tyre levers to stretch it a bit?

C

Top Bottom