Fix Your Bike Voucher Scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Most of the LBS' near me haven't joined the scheme: they're really busy as is.

Halfords and several single-mechanic operators are in it though - the scheme must be worth it if you've got the time and capacity.
I seem to be spoiled for choice here in York, with Halfords, several independants, and our local community cycle re-homing team all on the list. Hopefully it will get at least a few more prople on the road.

netman

Veteran
No surprise there then... :laugh:
1595976623869.png

ChrisEyles

Guru
Let's hope that Halfords have the capacity of capable mechanics to do the repairs... my local branch is truly shocking and I wouldn't let them near any of my bikes!

Agreed that by the standards of most here on CC, £50 won't be enough to get a cheapo BSO in pristine condition. But it probably will be enough to index the gears, replace the brake pads and set the brakes up properly, which is all a lot of them will need to get them out on the road again. And in all seriousness most of these bikes aren't going to be seeing the sort of mileages that will require new BB's, or even cassettes or chains.

Having said that I do pity the poor mechanics who are going to have to work on some of the crap-encrusted rusty bikes with brakes that don't want to centre, stripped barrel adjusters etc!

I'm surprised tyres are eligible under the scheme, I'd have considered them a consumable item rather than a repair as such. As others have pointed out you'd have to get some super budget tyres & tubes to fit that all into £50.

I'm hoping that this scheme doesn't get hi-jacked by people getting beaters from the dump, getting them fixed up using the voucher and flipping them on ebay for a quick buck. Cynical I know, but I really hope it goes as intended, helps to get people riding.
not cynical at all I fear - there's a lot of wise guys around.
A well meaning scheme, I too hope it works as intended.

I won't be after one - prefer to do my own stuff.

I do wonder why anybody on CC would be going after this?

I’ve got three bikes that need servicing.
A ladies Dutch bike with a 3 speed sturmney archer hub, a mountain bike that I use for mucking round with the kids on and my road bike.

The ladies bike and mountain bike were rescued and just need a service to get them back in tip top condition so I’ll use the vouchers for them.

For the road bike I’ll pay for the cost as the front shifter is sticky and I need the cranks changing to longer ones.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The scheme is intended to get people cycling who don't currently. It's about getting people fixed, not bikes. There is a finite pool of resource, so let it go where it will do the most good, no? I looked at it and thought "ooh, free stuff" then thought about it, realised I can afford to do whatever needs doing, whether via an LBS or myself, considered that I am already cycling as much as I intend to so then thought "I'll let someone else have it".

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Why not? We’re not all competent mechanics, or have time or inclination or mechanical sympathy to fix bikes. I usually pay the LBS but why shouldn’t I take advantage of the scheme?
I trained myself to become a decent bike spanner man. A moral question - Why should I, a taxpayer, subsidise someone such as yourself who has the same number of fingers, thumbs and brain cells as me, just because they haven't troubled themself to do the same?

Top Bottom