Fix Your Bike Voucher Scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I usually pay the LBS but why shouldn’t I take advantage of the scheme?

The idea of schemes such as this are to stimulate economic recovery. In your case it will just amount to a free bung, as you say you normally pay the LBS anyway, so the net positive economic result will be bugger all. All you are intending to do is use taxpayer money to pay a bill you would have ordinarily paid using your own money anyway.
I can think of much better ways of spending taxpayer funds.

vickster

Legendary Member
ummm I am a taxpayer...to the tune of about 20k last year not to mention VAT, VED, insurance tax, fuel duty, booze duty (not that much to be fair) and Lord knows what else. I don’t have kids and pay for private health (My choice obviously). I’ve continued working... and spending enthusiastically through lockdown :whistle:

Seemingly, it‘s moot now but maybe it would have been nice to get something back for a change other than crap roads to cycle on and my bins emptied once a fortnight (I even had to pay the council for bulky waste removal yesterday). :whistle:

How does one opt out of paying for the the welfare state other than by dying? :whistle:

How should the treasury better spend my hard earned in a way that would benefit all including myself?

Drago

Legendary Member
But sticking to the original question, why should other taxpayers who repair their own bikes, or pay to do so, subsidise someone such as yourself? It's a straight question - feel free to give a straight answer. The amount of tax you pay, the number of puppies you buy for orphans, how many buttons you leave in the Church collection plate are all completely irrelevant.

Personally, all power to you. I don't have an issue with it. But it appears that many people do, and their objections aren't without merit. A sensible, straight answer to a sensible, straight question might placate some of them somewhat, but evasive and diversionary comments serve only to reinforce their view.

PS - you need a better accountant if you're earning under £100k self employed and you're paying that much.

Last edited:

ChrisEyles

Guru
Personally I'd say if you can afford what most on the forum would consider a nice bike, you can probably afford to get it serviced at a decent LBS.

This scheme is surely going to do most good in getting people out on their bikes who don't normally cycle, but who have a not quite road worthy bike stuffed in the garage.

Not sure how to formulate a compelling argument but that's definitely my gut feeling! I've no problem with subsidising this, despite earning comparatively little.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If a few taxpayers are unhappy about it, they could always write to HMG or HMRC explaining their objections and request a refund of their 10p (rounded up) contribution.

I would also venture that there is no answer from a cycling forum that would placate them. It was a government idea so that’s who should field the questions.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
I guess some retailers will say the bikes are beyond repair and sell the customer a new bike on the never never. With VAT at 20% the treasury will get a few quid back.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess some retailers will say the bikes are beyond repair and sell the customer a new bike on the never never. With VAT at 20% the treasury will get a few quid back.
Except they've mostly got nothing bike wise to sell. They may make some money on parts though

oypolloy

Let me tell you - it will be abused. Human nature and greed being what it is. A bike shop could have the voucher at £50 from you and exchange it for say £25 cash. Or inflate the bill and give you some back. Or let you use it towards a purchase - all manner of things. How and if is it going to be policed ?

Adam4868

Guru
Anyone that managed to actually get one that feels they don't need it,it's not morally right to accept it or any other excuse.....
Throw it my way as I have no qualms about using one.

Let me tell you - it will be abused. Human nature and greed being what it is. A bike shop could have the voucher at £50 from you and exchange it for say £25 cash. Or inflate the bill and give you some back. Or let you use it towards a purchase - all manner of things. How and if is it going to be policed ?
must admit I do fear that the money will get misdirected to a fair extent - may have been better to push it to the various social volunteer schemes/bike reclamation schemes Dr Bike etc that help folk to sort their bikes. Many of the bikes that have been left standing, unless outside will probably have little wrong with them - wonky gears and brakes etc, pinctures even, and a lack of lube in certain areas that seem crippling to their owners but can easily be fixed

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
First voucher used and some points / suggestions:

1. Two £50 vouchers are available per household, both coming from a single registration.
2. The voucher is valid for 60 days once activated. You are supposed to agree with the repairer first before activating.
3. The activation process requires confirmation of make and type of bike. This generates you a code for the repairer.
4. The repairer needs to provide photographic evidence that they repaired the bike, confirming make. The code you generated goes into their system, and links to the make and type.
5. The repairer needs also to upload a .pdf of the invoice for the repair cost.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
First voucher used and some points / suggestions:

1. Two £50 vouchers are available per household, both coming from a single registration.
2. The voucher is valid for 60 days once activated. You are supposed to agree with the repairer first before activating.
3. The activation process requires confirmation of make and type of bike. This generates you a code for the repairer.
4. The repairer needs to provide photographic evidence that they repaired the bike, confirming make. The code you generated goes into their system, and links to the make and type.
5. The repairer needs also to upload a .pdf of the invoice for the repair cost.
Thanks for this helpful information.

Top Bottom