Fix Your Bike Voucher Scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
H
I was wondering if the bike shops will see it as easy turnover and just put them towards goods and not just services, who will know?
+1
I thought about that too.

If a shop's assessment is that the repairs will cost £100, then where does that leave people who maybe can't afford the extra - do you choose repairs that add up to the £50 voucher limit and leave the rest?

Here is the map of the bike shops already signed up: https://fixyourbikevoucherscheme.est.org.uk/Home/Map

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I believe it includes tyres. Might suck up a fitting fee if I can get a back tyre for my MTB - has to be a specific one though which is likely to be more than the £50 at LBS prices.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
We should see this a positive step towards cycle acceptance in the UK!
Absolutely! 😊
I reckon it's a brilliant idea. It was introduced sucessfully in France earlier this year.
Last night's announcement on 'the new golden age of cycling' with the Gear Shift document looks to be a serious and credible change for us on two wheels, and more generally, for the importance of active travel: https://assets.publishing.service.g...nge-a-bold-vision-for-cycling-and-walking.pdf
'British Cycling policy adviser Chris Boardman has hailed the announcement as “the culmination of years of work, campaigning and patience,” but warned that “the hard yards start now.” '

david k

Hi
It's a great idea, I may applynfor one. My mountain bike is desperate for a service and newnchain, my lad uses it and isn't as careful as me :smile:

BurningLegs

Veteran
I'm hoping that this scheme doesn't get hi-jacked by people getting beaters from the dump, getting them fixed up using the voucher and flipping them on ebay for a quick buck. Cynical I know, but I really hope it goes as intended, helps to get people riding.

That wouldn't bother me, to be honest. Better to get them back out on the road than scrapped, I'd say.

On top of that - the people doing it are likely to be doing it because they need a few quid (e.g recently out of work) so can't see much harm in it to be honest.

I am broadly in favour of anything that gets people out on two wheels.

Unusually I feel sorry for the LBS.

If I were eligible and dug my five year old Argos (not the people in Bristol) special out of the garage and took its to the LBS what are they going to do?

1) Look at it and say sorry it will probably cost us more than £50 without even doing an inspection. After which the shop will have a reputation for being run by stuck up <word of your choice> who wouldn't even look at my bike because it didn't cost over £5k.

2) Look at it, do a free thorough inspection and say sorry it will cost us more than £50 at which point the customer says I can be a new bike for less than what you say it will cost to fix. So the shop has wasted say half an hour of the employees time and are rip off merchants.

3) Look at it, say a thorough inspection will cost £25 regardless, leaving zilch left in the voucher for actually doing the fix, at which point the customer says I though the inspection was free and the shops reputation will be affected in the same way as 1)

4) Even if they say that the aren't in the voucher scheme I expect some will still call them names and expect a free checkup.

So the LBS loses if it joins the scheme and it loses if it doesn't.

Given that many tyres don't last more than 4-5 years, if you are a retailer with the liability for passing them as safe, rather than an individual trying to make them last a bit longer, aren't most bikes brought in under this scheme going to need 2 new tyres, which need to be fitted possibly with new tubes? That's £50 in parts and labour already.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
That wouldn't bother me, to be honest. Better to get them back out on the road than scrapped, I'd say.

On top of that - the people doing it are likely to be doing it because they need a few quid (e.g recently out of work) so can't see much harm in it to be honest.

I am broadly in favour of anything that gets people out on two wheels.

Actually, thats a fair point well made sir!

vickster

Legendary Member
Most of the LBS' near me haven't joined the scheme: they're really busy as is.

Halfords and several single-mechanic operators are in it though - the scheme must be worth it if you've got the time and capacity.
Mine is on the list, just booking 3-4 weeks in advance so people will have to wait. One of my bikes could do with a gear service so may apply :unsure:

StickyPTFE

Unusually I feel sorry for the LBS.

If I were eligible and dug my five year old Argos (not the people in Bristol) special out of the garage and took its to the LBS what are they going to do?

1) Look at it and say sorry it will probably cost us more than £50 without even doing an inspection. After which the shop will have a reputation for being run by stuck up <word of your choice> who wouldn't even look at my bike because it didn't cost over £5k.

2) Look at it, do a free thorough inspection and say sorry it will cost us more than £50 at which point the customer says I can be a new bike for less than what you say it will cost to fix. So the shop has wasted say half an hour of the employees time and are rip off merchants.

3) Look at it, say a thorough inspection will cost £25 regardless, leaving zilch left in the voucher for actually doing the fix, at which point the customer says I though the inspection was free and the shops reputation will be affected in the same way as 1)

4) Even if they say that the aren't in the voucher scheme I expect some will still call them names and expect a free checkup.

So the LBS loses if it joins the scheme and it loses if it doesn't.

Given that many tyres don't last more than 4-5 years, if you are a retailer with the liability for passing them as safe, rather than an individual trying to make them last a bit longer, aren't most bikes brought in under this scheme going to need 2 new tyres, which need to be fitted possibly with new tubes? That's £50 in parts and labour already.
Very true, looking at my local area, there is one LBS and the rest are halfords.

I am starting to think Halfords / Evans are going to make a lot of money out of these vouchers.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom