'Fixed' bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Quite a few on here use fixed bikes - I just can't see the sense for them: can someone explain why you forego the use of gears to use only ONE !?!?!?!???

;)

It's a Zen thing, all the rest is marketing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't have one myself, but I gather it's for lots of reasons. Less to go wrong. And some people like the feeling of total connection you get. And it can be good to make yourself work, rather than rely on gears. And some people just like it. It's fun. Like any sort of choice in cycling.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I don't think I'd want one in a town as hilly as Brighton. My knees would be shot. Did it become popular because of the courier thing?

domtyler

Über Member
It's a bit like driving an automatic instead of a manual. A lot less stressful. Faster in general too. Great control of speed and direction as well. Unbeatable for a flattish commute through heavy traffic.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
It's just another form of bike. Some like them, some don't.
I wouldn't want one as my only bike, but I do intend to build one up soon. Just because I've not had one for a decade or so.

Maz

Guru
Great for doing trackstands.
Tried one out!

betty swollocks

large member
For me, it is as Arch puts it ie the feeling of total connection, the feeling of unity with machine. Sounds a bit arty farty I know, but you really have to experience it to fully understand. On a practical level, there is less to go wrong and on an aesthetic level, the bike looks clean and wonderfully simple. It's also faster up most hills except the extremely steep ones, going down can be a bit of a challenge though!:tongue:

betty swollocks said:
For me, it is as Arch puts it ie the feeling of total connection, the feeling of unity with machine. Sounds a bit arty farty I know, but you really have to experience it to fully understand. On a practical level, there is less to go wrong and on an aesthetic level, the bike looks clean and wonderfully simple. It's also faster up most hills except the extremely steep ones, going down can be a bit of a challenge though!:tongue:

Yep. I completely burned off my commuting buddy this morning on the long hill up out of the railway station. Passed him with loads to spare whilst he was fiddling about trying to find a gear.

Maz

Guru
fixys cant be good for uphills, right? You must have to stand on the pedals out of the seat and knacker your knees.

domtyler

Über Member
Maz said:
fixys cant be good for uphills, right? You must have to stand on the pedals out of the seat and knacker your knees.

They are great for gentle hills or short sharp ones, just blast up there. On long steep ascents they are not suitable though.

Top Bottom