'Fixed' bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maz said:
fixys cant be good for uphills, right? You must have to stand on the pedals out of the seat and knacker your knees.

i have bad knees from running but don't have a problem on fixed.
most of my last 10,000 miles have been on it with no knee problems.
climbing is a different experience on fixed, even out of the saddle on a steep climb grinding away at low revs there doesn't seem to be any strain on the knees.

bobajobrob

I have a crusty old tourer converted to fixed that I commute on. I like it for the following reasons:

* less to go wrong
* it's fun

I don't like it for the following reasons:

* sucks to climbs steep hills on it
* scary when descending fast

Fortunately my commute is fairly flat ;)

Oh, and I don't by into the "zen" thing and feeling "more connected" with the bike. I feel just as connected on my geared bikes due to a big piece of leather up my backside.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Think i'll stick to a 'standard machine'...bit more relaxing - if you need to rest the legs / freewheel etc...

Fixed bikes are lots of fun. Just like geared bikes but in a different way.

I use my bike like a fixed for much of the time - rarely change gear on my normal commute route unless there's a gale blowing in my face and generally complete the journey both ways without using gears. I wonder if other do this too?

beanzontoast said:
I use my bike like a fixed for much of the time - rarely change gear on my normal commute route unless there's a gale blowing in my face and generally complete the journey both ways without using gears. I wonder if other do this too?

I do exactly that too beanz. 39 x 14 for what it's worth. No idea how that relates to a 'fixie'?! Sometimes use 52 x 13/12 - if the bit at the back changes ok :biggrin:

Top Bottom