'Fixed' bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
Out of my three bikes, a 2006 Focus Cayo, winter bike made of various parts and every accessory going and my Dolan fixie, only one makes me feel excited every time when I come to ride it, and that is the Dolan. Just such a sheer joy to ride, not sure whether it is just because it is fixed wheel but that is definitely a major part of it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
wicker man said:
marketing, a trend started by couriers? I'm 47 and have had a fixed in my collection since I was 14 - long before the current fashion started - I did race the track as a youngster and there was a general practice of riding fixed in the winter for 'clubmen'.

Good for climbing (look at the national hill climb results), maintaining momentum in a head wind and great for commuting. Far less maintenance, less to go wrong, and less to be tampered with when you leave it outside work all day

:smile::biggrin:
Been 'fixing' since 1983...oh, those retro couriers eh!
But, the recent "Courier Chic" thing has lead to an explosion in the popularity of fixed bikes, no doubt. IMO it's a good thing, more people experience what many of us discovered a long time ago. 5 years ago, to see another fixie was a rarity, now they're everywhere and people love them...and so they should. It's simple pleasure.

yello

Fab Foodie said:
:But, the recent "Courier Chic" thing has lead to an explosion in the popularity of fixed bikes, no doubt

Too right! And I count myself amongst that number of trend followers when I bought my Pompino around 3 years ago. If it hadn't been for the 'noise' then I wouldn't have even thought about it. Though, in honesty, my first fixed experience (ignoring the tricycle!) was 34 years ago when I had a go at grass track... and really couldn't get on with.

NickM

Veteran
domtyler said:
...only one makes me feel excited every time when I come to ride it, and that is the Dolan...
Come on, be honest - it's the frisson of fear associated with the nagging thought that you might forget to keep pedalling, isn't it? :smile:

I've sold my fixie - I reckon you need to ride them all the time for that remnant of doubt to go away, and I didn't want to.

Dave5N said:
I hope you mean Bonj and not me... :sad:

Well, if the cap fits . . . ! :biggrin:

No, of course I meant bonj! :ohmy:
Unless you have a habit of upsetting all and sundry.

Top Bottom