'Fixed' bikes...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

I've ridden fixed on the track and it was fun there. I wouldn't fancy it on the road though. The idea of trying to stop quickly at a junction or trying to clip in when you move off again fills me with dread.

got-to-get-fit said:
I just dont get it .....it looks like a lot of hard work for a bit of zen. If i want zen i will do some heavy breathing on the sofa not on some windy gradient.

It's not about "zen", whatever that is. It's just fun, that's all.

domtyler

Über Member
Renard said:
I've ridden fixed on the track and it was fun there. I wouldn't fancy it on the road though. The idea of trying to stop quickly at a junction or trying to clip in when you move off again fills me with dread.

??? You have to stop quickly at junctions and clip in when moving off on a normal geared bike don't you? :smile:

yello

Mine frightened the crap out of me at first. I very nearly sold it... but I persevered. Personally, I do find it a completely different experience to riding with gears and/or freewheel. The terms 'connected' and 'zen' might sound wanky but they do have a meaning for me that I associate with riding fixed. You do feel as if you a part of the bike; your legs being part of the drive chain. Hill climbing is somehow easier as you know what you have to do; the choice of gear removed, you just keep turning the pedals. There is a direct drive on fixed that translates every pedal stroke into power on the road, and conversely you 'feel' the road with every turn of the pedal. It is simply intoxicating.

bonj2

I accept that some people find it fun and enjoy the "different" riding experience, but there does seem to be a lot of mumbo-jumbo non-reasons for them still being bandied about.
The "Less to go wrong" argument is bollocks unless the amount of stuff to go wrong with a geared bike is burdensome, which it isn't.
"Choice of gear removed" is only an advantage if you're indecisive about what gear to use otherwise.
etc...
And then these arguments make me think that people are inventing them because there ARE NO other reasons, which makes me suspicious of even the 'fun in a weird way' bit, the only possibly valid argument for them. If people could just state that they're 'fun in a weird way' and just leave it at that? ;)

yello

Bonj, as you've quoted me, I'll respond...

The "Less to go wrong" argument is bollocks unless the amount of stuff to go wrong with a geared bike is burdensome

There is less to go wrong, fullstop. Whether it's burdensome or not is another issue. Agreed, it's not difficult to adjust the front/rear dérailleurs on a geared bike...but it's something that one needn't do at all on fixed!

"Choice of gear removed" is only an advantage if you're indecisive about what gear to use

You're missing the point. It's not a matter of being decisive or not, as there is no decision to make on fixed. On a geared bike you make a decision, however spontaneously, whatever it is, even it it's to stay in the same gear. As the question doesn't even arise on fixed, there is nothing to be decided.

Perhaps it sounds like bollocks to you but I find there is a very different feel to riding fixed. Yes, it is weird (and fun) - the descriptions you read are fixed riders trying to be a little more descriptive than simply saying "it's weird". After all, 'weird' is not really a particularly helpful description for someone interested in what it's like to ride fixed.

Renard

The "Less to go wrong" argument is bollocks unless the amount of stuff to go wrong with a geared bike is burdensome, which it isn't.

Not quite! Remember going for a ride with fellow club member and member of this forum who managed to pull back wheel out of alignment on an, abmittedly hilly section How we laughed when we reminded him that fixed is supposed to require less maintenance.

bonj2

yello - I'm not disputing the facts themselves, I'm disputing why it's an advantage.

yello said:
There is less to go wrong, fullstop. Whether it's burdensome or not is another issue.
it's not - because if it isn't burdensome, then it isn't a significant advantage. So therefore there's no point in saying it, which makes it sound like a made-up advantage, which makes me think there aren't any REAL advantages, even though there might well be, just not that are tangible in an on-paper sense.

yello said:
You're missing the point. It's not a matter of being decisive or not, as there is no decision to make on fixed. On a geared bike you make a decision, however spontaneously, whatever it is, even it it's to stay in the same gear. As the question doesn't even arise on fixed, there is nothing to be decided.
Again, and that's an advantage because...?

yello said:
Perhaps it sounds like bollocks to you but I find there is a very different feel to riding fixed. Yes, it is weird (and fun) - the descriptions you read are fixed riders trying to be a little more descriptive than simply saying "it's weird".
Now that is the only bit that doesn't sound like bollocks. The above two paragraphs sound like bollocks.
Ease of maintenance and lack of needing to decide what gear to be in don't really appear to be attempting to describe fun of riding, more of an attempt to fabricate evidence of some significant technical advantage which has no substance.

yello

bonj said:
yello - I'm not disputing the facts themselves, I'm disputing why it's an advantage.

Ah well, that's different. If you don't accept them as advantages then fair enough. Maybe, for you, there is no advantage to riding fixed. In many circumstances, there are none.

But if you want to know why it's enjoyable then you're into an even more subjective area. You're back into 'zen' and 'connected'... which you may have even less time for! If you don't already ride fixed then give it a go. Answer the question for yourself.

Reminds me of the Louis Armstrong quote; "If you have to ask what jazz is, you'll never know." :wacko:

iandg

Legendary Member
marketing, a trend started by couriers? I'm 47 and have had a fixed in my collection since I was 14 - long before the current fashion started - I did race the track as a youngster and there was a general practice of riding fixed in the winter for 'clubmen'.

Good for climbing (look at the national hill climb results), maintaining momentum in a head wind and great for commuting. Far less maintenance, less to go wrong, and less to be tampered with when you leave it outside work all day

riding fixed has been a winter tradition in the touring club for well over 40 years, there have always been at least 4 on fixed. recently we had about 7.though i think i'm one of only two who have used it all year round.

Top Bottom