Fixed Conversion Blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MattTrinder

Updated with new hande bars and brake pics...

GrahamG

Guru
Nice one - that'll be useful for some people i dare say.

I've no pics but I'll have to do something similar for mine. Although I already had most of the parts in the box so the cost will be Mrs G friendly :biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Nice. How much more stuff are you going to get for it? £118 so far isnt bad.
Mine cost me about £125 to do, but i got the frame for free, did have it spreyed though.
Should of done something simular for mine:wacko:

OP
OP
M

MattTrinder

The only big expense remaining will be the rear hub - I need to get a proper fixed hub sorted, although I will probably get it built into the existing rear rim.

As little as possible really...

Try some self-amalgamating tape on the bar ends. It looks like insulating tape but bonds with itself once it's been applied. It's very neat and secure. It's good stuff to have around generally - I've used it on the vacuum cleaner, the fridge, and the hydraulic suspension gaiters on my car, where it saved an expensive and tricky replacement.

OP
OP
M

MattTrinder

Cheers 20

Will give it a go - the finishing tape that came with the bar tape was rubbish too thick and too short. I'd always imagined that self-amalgamting tape was sticky on the outside, but if you say not I will take a look.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm still waiting for the frame to come back from being resprayed. If I accounted for all the parts I'll be transferring from the old bike the cost would be around £320 including a professional respray with transfers etc. but as it is, the frame upgrade is looking like:

Donor bike (Raleigh 531 Delta lightweight c.1989): £41
Selling off donor parts: £-60
New brake levers (Tektro): £12
New bars (Nitto noodle): £15
Remove gear/cable braze ons and install m/guard eyes: £20
Clean up frame, grind off mech hanger and respray Ferrari Red enamel w/Raleigh decals: £120

So total for the 'upgrade' on my old fixie currently stands at £148

OP
OP
M

MattTrinder

Hi Graham

I am also planning on selling off the unneeded components from the donor - I will end up with front and rear mechs, gear and brake levers, and the large chain ring.

Did you sell these off as a single set, or as individual items - I'm assuming they were on eBay. How did the prices break down ?

Mine are decent quality 105 spec, I'm guessing early 90s.

Cheers

Matt

GrahamG

Guru
I put them up on the Bikeradar classifieds and then the CTC forum classifieds. I think I lucked out with a guy after period parts. Also they were all pretty much as new as the donor bike had one owner from new and did about 1000 miles use on the road and then the odd spell on a turbo.

I always just price to sell - brakes for a tenner, crankset for £20 (105 biopace!), mechs for a few quid each and D/T shifter for a couple of quid. The white brake hoods scrubbed up beautifully and looked great, a steal at £6. A guy took the lot for £40 odd then I sold the wheels/cassette separately. I still have one or two bits which will either go on ebay if i can be bothered or donated to my old LBS which is actually a registered charity (part of a blind school) so they get all the odd parts I don't need.

OP
OP
M

MattTrinder

I think you must have started with the same donor as I have! I also had white hoods, and I the frame has a 105 biopace sticker on it, although I think the crankset must have been changed at some time....

Top Bottom