Fixed/fixed or Fixed/free hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thinking of having wheels built for me new fixed wheeler.
Something I hadn't thought about was on a flip-flop hub which sprocket types to have.
In the past I just ran a single fixed. I've never run a freewheel which seemed to only have the benefit of flying down hills but lacks the fixed benefits on the propulsion side.
I've also been told that a freewheel can be fitted to the fixed side of really necessary but it's lacking a bit of thread.

In terms of gearing I'm thinking 44:17 approx 70" as a start (in my youth I ran 75" in London and could climb Ditchling beacon on it). I could then put a 16 or 18 on the other side at a later date. Tell me is 1t difference the max for a given chain length or is 2t possible?

I'm a lot older than them and am now in Oxfordshire so flattish with some lumpy parts nearby. Group rides average around 13mph.

Advice welcome to this fixed returnee!

Cheers FF

Venod

Eh up
I ran 44:17 fixed for a couple of years its about 68" with 23mm tyres ideal for the flatish terrain and still manageable on moderate lumps, @100 rpm it gets you 20mph, an average of 13mph should be no problem, but the cadence would be a bit low for me about 65rpm, but may suit you.

I am thinking about building another fixie just need the right frame with track ends, I was quite tempted yesterday at the Planet X sale, a Holdsworth branded one for £50 but too heavy, they had another Holdsworth 531 but £800, I was also tempted by a Titus Titanium MTB frame for £300.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I ran 44:17 fixed for a couple of years its about 68" with 23mm tyres ideal for the flatish terrain and still manageable on moderate lumps, @100 rpm it gets you 20mph, an average of 13mph should be no problem, but the cadence would be a bit low for me about 65rpm, but may suit you.

I am thinking about building another fixie just need the right frame with track ends, I was quite tempted yesterday at the Planet X sale, a Holdsworth branded one for £50 but too heavy, they had another Holdsworth 531 but £800, I was also tempted by a Titus Titanium MTB frame for £300.
Thanks.

I'm going to run 28c Tyres on 23mm rims.

As I weigh in at 95kg the frame weights not too much of an issue (and I'm a Holdsworth fanboy) so it was just the job to complete my cycling line-up. It's only for occasional use so I can't justify spending more ... Apart from trying to justify some blingy Handbuilts :-)

Sharky

Guru
Tell me is 1t difference the max for a given chain length or is 2t possible?
If a true track end, you must have at least 1" fore/aft movement, but this will absorb a 2" variance in chain length or a variance of 4 teeth in sprocket sizes. Currently have 13t fixed & 17T on one of my bikes. The 13t was for an early season TT and too lazy to take off. The 17t is a SS free sprocket, giving me a 68" for normal riding.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Thanks.

As I weigh in at 95kg the frame weights not too much of an issue (and I'm a Holdsworth fanboy) so it was just the job to complete my cycling line-up. It's only for occasional use so I can't justify spending more ... Apart from trying to justify some blingy Handbuilts :-)
This changes things even more into the favour of fixed/fixed. Unless you have or are willing to spend serious money on a White Inds or equivalent, cheap ones are terrible in constant use and even worse when not - seizing up or losing drive is not uncommon.

U

User19783

Hi ff
I've got 4 fixed wheel bikes, with different gearing, and I can easy do wantage chain hill on any of my fixed wheel bikes,

If you like, you can try one, and we could go up and down and around botley,
Just for fun:laugh:

Pm me if like.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Double-fixed for me. 43x17/18. Mostly 18 these days in Devon. But I do also ride gears.
The drop-outs on my frame (forward-facing 38mm as specified) would take a two tooth difference.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My fixed has 15T fixed and 17T free IIRC. That's on sloping road dropouts, and I could have gone wider - plenty of room in the dropouts still.
Admittedly, I mostly ride on the freewheel side...

Venod

Eh up
Thanks.

What frame are you using ? did you get a Planet X Holdsworth ? if so whats your opinion ?

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

What frame are you using ? did you get a Planet X Holdsworth ? if so whats your opinion ?
Yep I did. Not totally unwrapped but it feels pretty weighty and from what I can see so far, nicely made. Will post photos when I've checked the frame size is OK and fully unwrapped it to start the build. :-)

Top Bottom