Fixed/fixed or Fixed/free hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Old fixed that's too big frame wise was 46,16. Too high I reckon as I'm not as strong as I was so it's a tad grindy.

If the new frame can take it 48,18 but it might only work with 46, I can't remember if the closest to 48,18 was a 17 or 19 sprocket but that with 16 on other side.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Old fixed that's too big frame wise was 46,16. Too high I reckon as I'm not as strong as I was so it's a tad grindy.

If the new frame can take it 48,18 but it might only work with 46, I can't remember if the closest to 48,18 was a 17 or 19 sprocket but that with 16 on other side.
Ta!
I used to ride 42 x 15 in London ... but that was more than 30 years ago ... and 6" less waist measurement!

Venod

Eh up
I have now got a fixie, swapped it for my MTB, I am not keen on the wheels so I am looking to build some, plenty of low profile rims to choose from but small flange fixed/free or fixed/fixed hubs are a bit scarce (Campag too much for this build).

Any recommendations wheel wise.

Venod

Eh up

Yes I thought they looked decent, but I am looking for double sided to start with, I have seen some Novatec from China, anybody used this fixed hub, I have some Novatec hubs and they are fine, but they do make a wide range from very cheap to reasonably affordable.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
This changes things even more into the favour of fixed/fixed. Unless you have or are willing to spend serious money on a White Inds or equivalent, cheap ones are terrible in constant use and even worse when not - seizing up or losing drive is not uncommon.

Shimano DX freewheels are excellent if you can find them, and cheap. My first one did 7000+ with no issues (teeth wore but still usable); I bought a 2nd hand one to replace it a couple of years ago and it's still fine.

Lonestar

Veteran
I'm on 44x18 on 165 cranks

I can't run a higher say 15 cog on the back...probably a good thing...as it's a 5 allen bolt fitting the cog on.More fun on the Limehouse - Forest Gate route as opposed to the Mile End Road route.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I can't run a lower say 15 cog on the back...probably a good thing...as it's a 5 allen bolt fitting the cog on.More fun on the Limehouse - Forest Gate route as opposed to the Mile End Road route.

I'm mostly riding in Coventry and in rolling Warwickshire countryside

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have now got a fixie, swapped it for my MTB, I am not keen on the wheels so I am looking to build some, plenty of low profile rims to choose from but small flange fixed/free or fixed/fixed hubs are a bit scarce (Campag too much for this build).

Any recommendations wheel wise.
DCR.

I'm having my fave 23mm H Plus Son Archetype rims in Silver: http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/700c-rims/
... and these Zenith hubs as they look more 'classic! .... http://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/hubs/zenith-eco-hub-2/

H Plus Son also do a classic box section rim which was very tempting if I was making a classic build, but mine will be a buggers-muddle of classic and modern!

Top Bottom