fixed, fixie, fixer, fix...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
bonj said:
yes but i don't deny it vehemently, if you want to think I am, you're welcome to but you'll be wrong.
The point in hand is that 'fixed' is an incorrect term used for an object because it isn't a noun.
But as people start using it more* perhaps it will become classified as one. Language changes.

* obviously only to annoy you. :biggrin:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I wouldn't start trying to involve yourself in armchair linguistics just to prove a carp point Bonjy...

(Perhaps the funniest part of all of this was just a short while back Bonj was slagging off fixies and saying how pointless they are, and now he has one! ha ha ha)

Anyway, the simple answer is that language can change, and just because something is conventionally used in one form doesn't mean it can begin to be used in another form.

brodie

For a start, "fixed gear" means one gear ratio! The correct term is "fixed wheel".

I never use the "fixi-" word, coz that's hipster word innit? I don't ride a certain type of bike as a fashion accessory.

dudi

brodie said:
For a start, "fixed gear" means one gear ratio! The correct term is "fixed wheel".

I never use the "fixi-" word, coz that's hipster word innit? I don't ride a certain type of bike as a fashion accessory.

see my earlier post.

the single gear ratio is called a single-speed. the "fixed" bit doesnt refer to the inability to change the ratio, more the lack of a freewheel.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some pedantic posts going on here............

Fixed - one gear, can't stop pedalling

Single Speed, one gear, has a freewheel.....

Fixie - the so called 'trendy ones

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
And, going by all the older people who came and spoke to me today at the TT, they all said, "your on fixed? Nice one!"
So, going by the old people that would of rode them many years ago, its a fixed.
None of them came up and said "Oh nice fixie" it was always fixed they used.

Radius

SHREDDER
Will1985 said:
Not really - gruppo is the Italian for groupset, not a shortened form to sound cool.

Oh come on, you mean to tell me that people who are not Italian and say "gruppo" are not using it just to sound cool?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Joe24 said:
And, going by all the older people who came and spoke to me today at the TT, they all said, "your on fixed? Nice one!"
So, going by the old people that would of rode them many years ago, its a fixed.
None of them came up and said "Oh nice fixie" it was always fixed they used.

Less of the old - I've only just got into 'fixed' - my clubmate used to, but that was his hill climbing bike...

Top Bottom