fixed, fixie, fixer, fix...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

Joe24 said:
I wear lycra most of the time when im on my bike

Face it, your floored. So far floored you are sunk down

MOST of the time eh, except when you wear fakenger clothes. :becool:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
bonj said:
nope, i'm just NOT an inverse-hipster - like you are. You are the opposite of zimzum. You inverse-hipster.
??????????

Does this mean you think I'm a hipster? I find that difficult to take. I own not a single pair of jeans, and am further away from Shoreditch than most of y'all. I only ever ride in one of two outfits. Lycra, or shorts and a wifebeater vest.

I am a roadie who happens to have no gears....

I went out with the Singapore fixie crowd, who can be called hipsters, and they were all a little perplexed by my LOOK pedals and clear lens M-Frames....

dudi

Radius said:
Don't you 'ride fixed', 'ride a fixie', use a 'fixed gear', and have a 'fixed wheel'? :becool:

Not quite.

Technically speaking, although it seems to have been bred out of the language due to it being practically obselete, Fixed wheel is something quite different. We don't have a fixed wheel - a fixed wheel takes direct drive from the pedal stroke. see below:

MILNG004131.jpg

As the wheel uses a direct (1:1) input from the pedal stroke, the egineering of the bike became that the front, drive wheel was growing larger and larger as people wanted faster and faster bikes. the advent of gearing made these bikes, and indeed the Fixed Wheel as it was originally known, obselete

We use a fixed, geared wheel - where we use gears and chains to increase the pedal/wheel rotation ratio from 1:1 to 3:1 (in my case).
This means we don't need 6-foot wheels any more.

But as I said, this term 'Fixed Wheel' has been bastardised over the years to mean a fixed geared wheel - which is quite wrong, quite understandable, and a pet peeve.

Tel

Veteran
Radius said:
Don't you 'ride fixed', 'ride a fixie', use a 'fixed gear', and have a 'fixed wheel'? :becool:

Yeah but what about "whilst out riding my [blank]" then what?

I'm with bonj 'fixie' fits better than anything else, otherwise it would be "whilst out riding my fixed wheel bicycle" which would take far too much of my typing time.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed Gear Road Bike for me...... mine isn't trendy, it has guards and two brakes, and SPD's.

Fixie's are the trendy fashion bikes, one or no brakes, deep aero V's or trispokes, cowhorn or flat bars.

fossyant said:
Fixed Gear Road Bike for me...... mine isn't trendy, it has guards and two brakes, and SPD's.

Fixie's are the trendy fashion bikes, one or no brakes, deep aero V's or trispokes, cowhorn or flat bars.

x2

zimzum42

Legendary Member
fossyant said:

I have what I would describe as a fixed gear road/TT bike. I have aero bars and deep rims for speed. I don't have a back brake because it's a track frame and there is not a hole to fit one. I have a front brake cos I'm not an idiot who thinks he can slow from 25mph to stop for a numpty.

So, am I still a hipster or whatever, in my lycra and LOOK pedals?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

zimzum42 said:
??????????

Does this mean you think I'm a hipster? I find that difficult to take. I own not a single pair of jeans, and am further away from Shoreditch than most of y'all. I only ever ride in one of two outfits. Lycra, or shorts and a wifebeater vest.

I am a roadie who happens to have no gears....

I went out with the Singapore fixie crowd, who can be called hipsters, and they were all a little perplexed by my LOOK pedals and clear lens M-Frames....

you are clearly the forum's unashamed and beyond-redemption hipster.

Top Bottom