fixed gear, clips or clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
[QUOTE 1405667"]
Those artificial-cloth type ones.

The strap-sides would tear along the side of the pedals when I pulled up on them to brake/honk.
[/quote]

Sounds more like the quality of your straps (or the pedal) rather than the nature of straps.

ATM I use Re-Strap and they seem impervious to damage :tongue: I did have the stitching come off one a bit (it was not a deal breaker, just needed re-stitching) when I 1st bought them, I contacted them to maybe get it re-stitched but Nathan the guy who makes them sent me replacement free of charge, so now I have 2 pairs.

Im not saying you should use straps or anything btw, I was just curious.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Is anyone using Shimano PD-M520s on a fixed gear bike? They're fairly cheap, have good reviews and I'm tempted.

http://www.wiggle.co...-pd-m520-pedals

I went for the PD-M520s in the end. Got two pairs for a stupidly low price (36.00GBP for two pairs) which means I have a spare set for another bike, and also a spare set of cleats (which would cost quite a bit on their own).

I'm running the cleat retention springs at minimum tension. I think having cleats that are in good condition (i.e. relatively unworn) is more important than the spring tension.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? Min, Max tension or somewhere in between?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I started mine at minimum tension (pure cowardice) and then took them up one full turn of the adjustment screw when I felt more confident. Can't see the need to alter them anymore.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I can just about drag my feet straight out of my M520s when honking the fixed up a hill if I have the tension on minimum, but I'm a big bloke with long levers.

That said, I've managed to completely avoid clipless "moments" by having the tension set on the low side, just not at absolute minimum.

Top Bottom