fixed gear, clips or clipless?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
just built my first fixed gear and have cycled 153 miles so far. i love the feel of the steel frame and the simplicity of fixie-ing.

i'm currently using spd's and shimano goretex winter boots, they are working out fine. but, i do prefer to use clips on my other bikes, this is so i can use one set of footwear for cycling and destination.when i'm using clips i have them really slack so i can get my size 13 feet in and out easily enough.

1. is it possible to run clips slack on fixed gear or am i risking my feet coming out at 150 rpm?

2. do you have to run clips tight?

3. is running clipless worth the extra hassle of carrying spare footwear?

4. do the benefits outweigh the inconvenience?

any other thought on clips v clipless appreciated.

cheers

shaun

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I use Crank Bros Eggbeaters with SixSixOne Spd Filter shoes.

http://www.highonbik...id/85/image/74/

http://www.nwmtb.com...2/6686-00_2.jpg

They feel like regular trainers (I've even played badminton in them, with out marking the floor or feeling odd) when walking but act like cycling shoes when i'm riding. This combo has solved my destination footwear problem, and feels secure when I ride, and unclips easily when I want to. I've never had an unwanted unclip with these, unlike my previous SPD's.

Have your cleats clipped in as tightly or loosely as you feel comfortable as long as they are secure enough not to come out when you don't want them too. Why would you want them specifically loose?

If you are used to toe clips it may be simpler to stick with them if you find clippless causes difficulties.

Have you looked into powerstraps or similar? They seem practical and useful on fixed gear bikes...

http://www.google.co...iw=1372&bih=821

As with most things to do with fixed gear riding, it's your choice. Whatever you feel comfy and safe with is the best choice.

tyred

Legendary Member
I wear the clips on my fixed quite slack and have no problems to report over the past few thousand miles.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
cheers guys,

i am very comfortable riding with either on my other bikes. clips give me the option of wearing whatever footwear i want, if it's sunny - sandals, if it's snowing big chunky waterproof walking boots etc etc.

there are a lot of big hills (some 20%) where i live and ride and i run 66 inch at the mo due to the hills. so i do have to spin like crazy when descending.

i do like the feel of cycling shoes on the fixie, solid platform, but i haven't rode clips on her yet.

i just wanted to make sure that loose clips are not a disaster waiting to happen on fixed gear.

colinr

I've slipped out of clips before so prefer clipless for a firmer attachment, I run M520s set quite tight.
Though I didn't have very good clips, I think that had more to do with it than one being better or worse.

D

Deleted member 1258

I run clips and straps on my fixed, have the straps just tight enough to hold my feet, but not that tight I can't pull a foot out out when I need to. My fixed gets used mostly for commuting and general running about and I like the convenience of not being tied to cycle shoes. I've been on clips and straps for years, I only went over to clipless on the geared bike last September, I used spd's for a summer a few years ago and then went back to clips and straps. I've never pulled a foot out when spinning fast down hill, but I have done it a couple of times at a low cadence, pulling away from junctions and climbing, pulling a foot out pulling away from traffic lights in heavy traffic gets you all the room you need.

I have 2 fixed wheel bikes.

One has clipless, the other clips. The one with clips has the straps quite loose, though I now thing I can pull them a bit tighter. It is my hack/pub/quick shop bike and the one I go to if I need to get soewhere and can't be bothered changing shoes. Not really done any great mileage on it, but then it was cheap and made up from stuff in the parts bin.

I started with clips but went clipless and have stayed. Its much easier to get your feet in and out of clipless with none of the bother of flipping a pedal, getting your foot in and doing the straps up and then undoing them all on a pedal that doesn't stop moving. And if it gets too fast going downhill you can get out of clipless in a way you can't with clips.

There are plenty of different clipless shoes out there so I have everything from sandals to winter boots. In winter I want a clean pair of shoes at the other end anyway as a lot of muck tends to get thrown over your biking shoes IME.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Tried spd-sl. Possible but you have to be perfect everytime you set off and in London that was just too much to ask for.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i recently went back to clipless, because when my wife fell off the brommie, i had to rush to get the car. whilst crossing the road, my rolled up pants leg came down, got caught, it felt like my leg was going to get ripped off at approx 5mph, i was just glad it hadn't happened at 20 mph which i averaged when rushing for the car.

then today after coming down blackstone edge, i was tired and my hands were aching (it's a long steep downhill and i'd left my gloves at home), i pulled over at the bottom. after a drink, i set off and messed up clipping (not done that before) in which left me halfway across the road (i hadn't fallen off, just very very nearly), it scared me shitless as it is a very very fast road for cars, i was very fortunate, no cars came down until i got back to my side of the road.

so i'll be putting the flats and clips back on. all the time i have used toe-clips over the years i've never had any 'moments' (whilst sober), plus i can use any footwear i choose.

the funny thing is, when i was using just flats, my feet never slipped off even up to 140 rpm cadence, so i guess i've answered my original question, clips can be used slack.

cheers for the replies.

Bicycle

Ditto your love of a steel frame and the simplicity of fixies. :biggrin:

Answers to your questions (not pretending to be any sort of expert).

Yes. I cannot imagine I'd keep my feet in place with any other system. A pair of shoes are easily carried - or left where you'll need them. I couldn't imagine a cadence over 110 without clipless pedals. On my fixie I descend (in a hilly county) at 160+.

Yes

Any other thought on clips v clipless appreciated.

I haven't used clips since I was a teen in the 80s.... I'm afraid I see them as many drivers see non-syncro gearboxes... old technology. I'm sorry if that sounds like a herecy. Since I first rode on clipless pedals, nothing else has matched them. There is no way I'd have 'gone fixed' if clipless were not an option.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been running clips and straps on my fixed and clipless on my geared bike for a while now, and haven't found much of a difference between the two systems, of the two systems I prefer the clips and straps, if I hadn't spent so much money on pedals and shoes I would drop the clipless in favour of clips and straps.

rustychisel

clipless, definitely. The best foot retention you can get is what you want for fixed gear riding. Of course, being able to control your bike and clip in easily is a must, you should be adept with either left or right pedal, and fast stopping/unclipping.

I use Keywin on all four bikes I have because, erm, that's what I use. Fixed or geared makes no difference to me.

1. is it possible to run clips slack on fixed gear or am i risking my feet coming out at 150 rpm?
Yes it is possible, but not too slack. My feet have never slipped off the pedal at any speed.

2. do you have to run clips tight?
No.

No.

No.

Top Bottom