Fixed gear

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Black knight, 15 May 2010.

1. longers

longers Veteran

Good stuff, hope you take to it. I bloody love mine, partly through laziness.
    I can get a good workout by commuting on it without having to try too much. If that makes sense.

2. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

You're right, of course, although it does depend where Black Knight lives - if he was in Sheffield, for instance, 73" would be hard work even for commuting. And there are very few parts of the country as pancake flat as Cambridge.

3. OP
    OP
    Black knight

Black knight Active Member

Went to Harrogate Halfords (Much more helpful than York) yesterday, just for a look and ended up buying the Boardaman Comp sc.

Lovely bike, but this fixed thing will take some getting used to.

Main trouble atm is getting my oversized feet into the little plastic toe clip things.
    I suppose with it being fixed you have to use some sort of clips?

Also stopping, I realise you stop pedaling but i'm struggling a bit, do you force against the motion on the up stroke?

Thanks.

4. redddraggon

redddraggon Blondie

Get some clipless pedals and shoes.

If you haven't used them before, have a practice using a freewheel - I presume the Boardman has a fixed/free side?

5. BigSteev

BigSteev Senior Member

Everyone else seems to think so and you'll need to if you don't run brakes, but manage fine without.

6. iendicott

iendicott Well-Known Member

I have been toying with getting a fixed gear, apparently they are great for working the leg muscles. A lady where I work has a Giant Mashup with a single speed freewheel on the wheel and then you reverse the wheel through 180 degress and it becomes a fixed on the other side of the wheel. Oh and it's dead light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice