Fixed gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Black knight said:
I'll be putting a 'new bike' post up in the next week or two. I'll keep you under suspenders as to what i'll go for!

Good stuff, hope you take to it. I bloody love mine, partly through laziness.
I can get a good workout by commuting on it without having to try too much. If that makes sense.

ASC1951

Guru
GrasB said:
73" = 13mph @ 60 rpm which is a fairly common cadence/speed combination for a normal commuter/utilitarian cyclist going from A to B around Cambridge.
You're right, of course, although it does depend where Black Knight lives - if he was in Sheffield, for instance, 73" would be hard work even for commuting. And there are very few parts of the country as pancake flat as Cambridge.

OP
OP
B

Black knight

Went to Harrogate Halfords (Much more helpful than York) yesterday, just for a look and ended up buying the Boardaman Comp sc.

Lovely bike, but this fixed thing will take some getting used to.

Main trouble atm is getting my oversized feet into the little plastic toe clip things.
I suppose with it being fixed you have to use some sort of clips?

Also stopping, I realise you stop pedaling but i'm struggling a bit, do you force against the motion on the up stroke?

Thanks.

redddraggon

Blondie
Black knight said:
Went to Harrogate Halfords (Much more helpful than York) yesterday, just for a look and ended up buying the Boardaman Comp sc.

Lovely bike, but this fixed thing will take some getting used to.

Main trouble atm is getting my oversized feet into the little plastic toe clip things.

Also stopping, I realise you stop pedaling but i'm struggling a bit, do you force against the motion on the up stroke?

Thanks.

Get some clipless pedals and shoes.

If you haven't used them before, have a practice using a freewheel - I presume the Boardman has a fixed/free side?

BigSteev

Black knight said:

Everyone else seems to think so and you'll need to if you don't run brakes, but manage fine without.

iendicott

I have been toying with getting a fixed gear, apparently they are great for working the leg muscles. A lady where I work has a Giant Mashup with a single speed freewheel on the wheel and then you reverse the wheel through 180 degress and it becomes a fixed on the other side of the wheel. Oh and it's dead light.

Top Bottom