Fixed or Single Speed or Geared for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TreeHuggery

Ok need some help
I've always rode a geared bike but quite like the look of the fixed or single speed bikes.
Would they be any use for commuting? (It's hilly but not ridiculously hilly)
Any advice welcome
also can use you use clips with them?
TIA

boydj

Legendary Member
No problem commuting on fixed (with at least a front brake) or single-speed as long as your route has no steep hills. Reduced maintenance is a benefit. No reason not to use clipless pedals - though mtb pedals are probably more convenient for a commute than road pedals.

Lee_M

Guru
Never liked commuting on a fixie, but thats mostly because I wasn't confident enough in traffic that I had adequate control, and wasnt happy going out in it enough to get confident. It also hurt my knees like buggery

I've never ridden SS but I used to commute fixed when I had a Langster steel.

No problems with clips, I used SPD's with mine.

You might need to change the sprocket/freewheel depending on the gearing and your legs, but it's easy and cheap enough to do.

You need to be a good judge of the changing conditions ahead of you with fixed as well, and as boydj says use brakes, preferably plural but certainly don't reply just on your legs to stop:ninja:

If you ride fixed just remember, DON'T STOP PEDDLING.........EVER!!!! DAHIKT :whistle:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I commute with both Geared and Single Speed bikes

I use flats on the Single Speed and SPDs on the Geared

If you are thinking of Single Speed commuting, start off easy (ie a 2:1 ratio) and increase to suit over time

I am currently running 34 front 14 back but started at 32/16

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You don't say if you've got a bike at present. If you haven't why don't you beg or borrow one and keep it in a single gear for your commute?

gaijintendo

Veteran
I just started commuting fixed and it forces you to cycle differently.

I find the fixed bike extremely manoeuvrable which I find gives me some confidence in traffic. I assume that doesn't apply to single speed.

As @smokeysmoo says, you have to read the road better, or it MAKES you read the road better. I am trying to use the brakes only for situations where I am unable to control it naturally. My hand floats over the lever near constantly. After using the fixed, I realise just how reliant I am on my brakes on my regular commuter. It almost begins to seem silly that I would be seriously injured a dozen times a commute if they failed at any of those points. You read everything more. This may just be fear of the unknown for me right now, but it is a buzz. It sounds dumb, but I feel like I am learning to cycle... 30 years after starting.

I expected it to do my knees in more, but it hasn't really - but I am not leathering it yet - still learning the ropes. I would say it is relatively agressively geared, and ideally I would drop a tooth or two at the front or add one or two at the rear, but this is an experiment for now. I do have a couple of climbs, and I can make it. It can take a bit of effort, but I do wonder what I need all those gears for. I still feel the climb shifting though my gears...

What I do like is how solid it feels. I have come off my bike due to chain drops during bursts of acceleration, once the derailleur disappeared into my spokes... just over the years I have had more mechanical inspired injuries than any other category. Maybe it is my bad luck?

Learning to control your speed downhill is important, so you don't look like a toddler on a trike that has started moving too fast. *legs up* *whee*!
If someone was to thrust a Langster at me, I would probably hang my commuter tank up. As it is, the fixie I have is an utter lemon - but it has been entertaining.

A consideration is lot of cheaper fixies will not take mudguards/rack, so bear that in mind for a commuter bike.

When I rode my regular commuter after a couple of days fixed, the lack of feedback when I was freewheeling FREAKED me out. After the first day of riding fixed, my legs wanted to walk backwards because they were FREAKED at having to use these forgotten about muscles.

Was any of that helpful?

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I do just about all of my commuting on fixed. 9 miles by the direct route, mostly flat (370 feet of climbing according to bikehike). I run a 66 inch gear (that's 48 x 19 teeth 700C with 25mm tyres). I have SPD pedals, as keeping feet in contact with the pedals on a fixed gear bike is very important.

I carry a change of clothes plus sandwiches in a bar bag and wear the same shoes I cycled in around the office.

You can easily mimic singlespeed, try riding your bike in a comparable gear without changing, fixed won't be possible for obvious reasons (think freehub).

You'll save some weight by riding without a derailleur and using a smaller length of chain, and drive train efficiency will be improved slightly by straightening of the chainline, otherwise, there's no major benefit, other than the joy of learning a new riding style as mentioned previously.

My commute is simply too hilly, it's a slog up the hills, and I'm left spinning out on descents, I can average a faster pace on a geared bicycle, which feels safer as I'm better able to mix with traffic and accelerate. I'd think about getting a fixed for local errands but that means storing one more bike in the garage, I may as well just use what I have.

Last edited:

mangid

Guru
I do all my commuting by fixed. Currently averaging around 300miles a week.

I love fixed gear riding, rather obviously I guess, there is something very meditative about it. In traffic controlling your speed using your legs becomes second nature.

For commuting the biggest other plus is maintenance, it's way easier to keep clean. I have only the front brake and mudguards, most days a wipe down with a baby wipe or 2 will see it all sparkling again. Chains (6K miles) sprockets (12K) and chainrings (24K) all last a lot longer than components on my Sunday best road bike.

I use SPD, indeed I would recommend clipless on a fixed you need to be attached to the pedals.

emilyisfun

No problem commuting on fixed (with at least a front brake) or single-speed as long as your route has no steep hills. Reduced maintenance is a benefit. No reason not to use clipless pedals - though mtb pedals are probably more convenient for a commute than road pedals.
I do all my commuting by fixed. Currently averaging around 300miles a week.

I love fixed gear riding, rather obviously I guess, there is something very meditative about it. In traffic controlling your speed using your legs becomes second nature.

For commuting the biggest other plus is maintenance, it's way easier to keep clean. I have only the front brake and mudguards, most days a wipe down with a baby wipe or 2 will see it all sparkling again. Chains (6K miles) sprockets (12K) and chainrings (24K) all last a lot longer than components on my Sunday best road bike.

I use SPD, indeed I would recommend clipless on a fixed you need to be attached to the pedals.
300 miles a week, holy smokes! good for you!!

emilyisfun

Never liked commuting on a fixie, but thats mostly because I wasn't confident enough in traffic that I had adequate control, and wasnt happy going out in it enough to get confident. It also hurt my knees like buggery
Yea, i understand. That's like my biggest fear, them dam cars, and the traffic, especial on a fixie!

Top Bottom