Fixed or Single Speed or Geared for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
DON'T STOP PEDDLING.........EVER!!!! DAHIKT :whistle:

The advantage of following this advice is you never arrive at work.

The disadvantage is having to arrange for people to hand up your food.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I have commuted on all of them, geared, fixed and Sturmey Archer 3-speed.

The SA was absolutely bombproof but of course the bike was so heavy small objects used to be attracted to it's field of gravity. Absolutely beautiful ride if you had the time though.

Geared, well honestly it is so flat around here I seldom use them. But IMO they are not a major maintenance cost on most modern bikes if you know how to reindex them.

Fixed, as others have said these are actually very pleasant to ride once you get used to them, at least around here (very flat). Part of the attraction for me of riding a bike is the feeling you have something lean and efficient under you, that you are connected to it and the road in a very direct way. You get that feeling more than anything on a fixie. There is a reason riding a track bike on a velodrome is, for me, as close as you can get to cycling heaven. Although for a MTB rider it is probably terrible! Horses for courses.

The downsides are being out of the saddle for me is a bit cumbersome with a messenger bag. And also you need to be careful pelting down a hill with corners because you are more likely to strike the pedals. Although I very much suspect that my Conti Gatorskin tyres would give up before I struck a pedal on a corner.

If you are unsure try a fixie for at least an hour because it takes time to get used to it. In the end they are not expensive and it would not be a big investment to have one as a second bike if you wanted

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I occasionally commute on a single speed. I don't know the ratio, but I guessed at what would suit the jild uphill and it's spot on. however, I can't pedal faster than about 18mph which is ok if you're not fussed about speed. I use MTB SPDs which I find really easy to get in and out of. Much better than geared IMHO, as lack of forethought can sometimes catch you out in too high a cog, and also you don't get slippage.

biking_fox

Guru
"new" bike is SS which I haven't yet swapped over to fixie. I get more fun out of SS than I do my geared 'normal' commuter, although partly just because it's new. The acceleration/responsiveness feels very different, even though there's little slack in a geared system, you still notice. Absolutely brilliant for fitness training as it gets your cadence up, and builds power on the inclines. Whether it suits your route, only you will know, but I'm fairly sure you can find a ratio that isn't too spinny downhill, nor leg-busting uphill.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ok need some help
I've always rode a geared bike but quite like the look of the fixed or single speed bikes.
Would they be any use for commuting? (It's hilly but not ridiculously hilly)
Any advice welcome
also can use you use clips with them?
TIA
You HAVE to use clips or toe straps. Not being connected to the pedals is dangerous

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The SA was absolutely bombproof but of course the bike was so heavy small objects used to be attracted to it's field of gravity. Absolutely beautiful ride if you had the time though.
...and if you choose carefully, it need not be any heavier than a hybrid. FG and SS will always be cheaper, but HG doesn't have to be in a flaming tank, especially the relatively light 3-speeds.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fixed road bike is the answer. Sub 8kg before panniers.

Thread answered and closed.^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Which bikes are they? Bowery doesn't take a pannier or guards without workarounds, Langster weighs a bit more, and most fixies weigh a mind boggling amount...

Custom. Same frame as the Pearson Touche but supplied by my LBS. Not much change from about £1200. Alloy frame carbon forks and seat post Ritchey Pro/WCS stem and bars.
20170405_190342.jpg

Top Bottom