Fixed penalty notice for little girl selling lemonade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Quite. It's possible that enforcement officers were over-zealous jobsworths, equally, it's possible that the father is a stroppy git who didn't like being told what to do.
Having in the distant past had to enforce local By-Laws I can imagine a scenario - "I pay your wages, jumped up little Hitler, you'll be out of a job in 24 hours", etc etc etc.

Generally said by some chinless wonder showing off in front of his family, safe in the knowledge that the subject of his "Courageous" rant can't respond with a slap. Also to be found in shops and restaurants reducing the younger staff to tears. Unfortunately Local Authorities are so scared of any bad publicity they take the line of least resistance and apologise to the self important ranter rather than telling him where to go.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I am planning on giving up obeying all residual regulations when I am 75.
I started phasing them out at 55

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Having in the distant past had to enforce local By-Laws I can imagine a scenario - "I pay your wages, jumped up little Hitler, you'll be out of a job in 24 hours", etc etc etc.

Generally said by some chinless wonder showing off in front of his family, safe in the knowledge that the subject of his "Courageous" rant can't respond with a slap. Also to be found in shops and restaurants reducing the younger staff to tears. Unfortunately Local Authorities are so scared of any bad publicity they take the line of least resistance and apologise to the self important ranter rather than telling him where to go.

I've always been pretty contempuous of those who are rude and superiour to waiters and the like. Essentially it's bullying people you think can't answer back. It's also bad policy to be rude to someone fetching or preparing your food. There's a very good chance of some "special sauce" being added for selected customers when it's out of sight in the kitchen

Dan B

Disengaged member
The question I would ask anyone adopting a "the law is the law, officers were only doing their jobs" line is: do you think the same thing about e.g. pavement cycling, where the law says one thing but the guidance to police from ministers (Boateng, Goodwill) says "use your discretion, don't be an ass"?

Globalti

Legendary Member
A Tower Hamlets council spokesperson said: “We are very sorry that this has happened. We expect our enforcement officers to show common sense, and to use their powers sensibly. This clearly did not happen.

This is one negative consequence of the need for guidelines and tighter rules. In every walk of life there has been a disaster due to complacency or incompetence amongst people in authority so new stricter rules have needed to be introduced. Of course if you take away those people's ability to exercise judgement you get this kind of idiotic bureaucratic heavy-handedness. It's the "jobsworth" mentality at its worst.

winjim

Smash the cistern
André Spicer is Professor of Organisational Behaviour and the founding director of ETHOS: The Centre for Responsible Enterprise at Cass. He is an expert in the areas of Organisational Behaviour, Leadership and Corporate Social Responsibility.​

Isn't part of corporate social responsibility about making sure you've got the correct permits, paying your taxes etc?

Her father clearly knew that what she was doing was against trading regulations. I can't understand why they have withdrawn the fine.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The question I would ask anyone adopting a "the law is the law, officers were only doing their jobs" line is: do you think the same thing about e.g. pavement cycling, where the law says one thing but the guidance to police from ministers (Boateng, Goodwill) says "use your discretion, don't be an ass"?
The point is that is the law is there and if someone charged with enforcing it decides to do just that then you have no argument, even if many of his or her colleagues ignore it. Having the power of discretion does not mean you have to let everyone off scot free.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The point is that is the law is there and if someone charged with enforcing it decides to do just that then you have no argument, even if many of his or her colleagues ignore it. Having the power of discretion does not mean you have to let everyone off scot free.
Do you think the same about pavement cycling?

U

User482

If you get stopped or fined for riding on the pavement you have no complaint. If you think pavement cycling should be allowed then campaign to change the law, but in the meantime don't whinge if you do and you get caught.
There is government guidance regarding enforcement and pavement cycling.

Top Bottom