Fixed Penalty Notice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Nope. I will continue to use this route.

And do you expect to receive further FPNs for your future offences? Don't bank on it.
You might find the cop remembers having ticketed you before and you'll find yourself without that option, being summonsed for court instead. Start putting a few quid away for that fine.

You really need to have a word with yourself.

GC

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
fossyant said all I wanted to say. Aprt from:

The video casts the police in a most excellent light. I'm sure the older one is the guy who gave me a good talking to for riding a Boris Bike down the steps by the Duke of York Memorial last year.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
[QUOTE 2554019, member: 30090"]Then don't be posting any lame videos on here expecting sympathy, you broke the law, and you got ticketed. And it's not going to stop you doing it again so what is the point?

Either you're trolling or with all due respect, you're a bit thick.[/quote]

Shssh, he's obviously a bit :wacko:

What ever etc. etc. Fine. I'll just wait for the bus to come through the junction down the "no entry" bus lane just as you jump the lights in front of it, and get squashed. We'll enjoy the video. Don't come back here because we 'told you so'. :cycle:

As @Noodley would say 'Nobber' !

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Just so people are aware, there was a cyclist killed on monday just around the corner, it has been suggested that such a collision could have been avoided if cyclists are allowed to cycle down here. The reason being the other road is a busy 4 lane one way street that takes a lot of traffic, and cyclists jockeying for position is not easy.

The problem with this bus lane is that it is in a contra-flow, so either road user (bus or cyclist) must pass the other by going into the lane that has opposing traffic coming the other way. Now with this being a busy road, that is quite often. All it takes is one non-clued up cyclist to follow someone that knows what they are doing and there could be a nasty collision.

What should happen here is the one way system around holborn should be abandoned and all of the roads should be made to be 2 way with 2 lanes. one of which would be a bus lane. Easy solution that can be implemented in a short space of time.

Just so people are aware, there was a cyclist killed on monday just around the corner, it has been suggested that such a collision could have been avoided if cyclists are allowed to cycle down here. The reason being the other road is a busy 4 lane one way street that takes a lot of traffic, and cyclists jockeying for position is not easy.

But based on the OP video, he was coming from the direction of where that terrible accident was, the route taken would not have avoided it. The OP would have come from the right (where he turned left) should he be avoiding the nasty junction at Holborn.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
But based on the OP video, he was coming from the direction of where that terrible accident was, the route taken would not have avoided it. The OP would have come from the right (where he turned left) should he be avoiding the nasty junction at Holborn.
I believe the video may have been made to prove the point about the police fining cyclists. This may not be the case but only the OP can say if it is or not.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yup. Best thing to say was;
'It' a fair cop guv' you got me bang to rights this time, Cor Blimey!'

Do you know what though, sometimes its actually not. About 20 years ago I was stopped for speeding, quite rightly...because I was speeding.

Copper got out a book (it was white or yellow I cant recall which) and asked me if I knew why I'd been stopped. I replied, "yep, its a fair cop I was speeding", at which point the copper pulled out a different coloured pad (it was white or yellow I cant recall which) saying that as I'd admitted breaking the law it left him with no option that to stick me on. Told my dad about it later and he suspected the pad he originally pulled out was for a producer, to ensure I was eligible to drive (as my offence was minor, going 65 in a 60), the second pad was most likely a fixed penalty.

I gather if I'd shrugged my shoulders and said, "no idea guv" then I'd have been issued a producer and nothing more than a wag of his finger.

DISCLAIMER
this post in no way condones Veloevol's actions and subsequent posts to which I shan't respond as Clearly Veloevol is now entrenched in his defence and has stopped listening to reasoned advice. Your house may be at risk if you leave all the doors open

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

The problem with this bus lane is that it is in a contra-flow, so either road user (bus or cyclist) must pass the other by going into the lane that has opposing traffic coming the other way. Now with this being a busy road, that is quite often. All it takes is one non-clued up cyclist to follow someone that knows what they are doing and there could be a nasty collision.

What should happen here is the one way system around holborn should be abandoned and all of the roads should be made to be 2 way with 2 lanes. one of which would be a bus lane. Easy solution that can be implemented in a short space of time.

Meh...not sure about this Gav. From my recollection this always used to be a one way road and was made a contraflow for buses to take a short cut to Shaftesbury. Buses, not other road users

Its never been a road a car or cyclist can travel in that direction (not in the last 50 years or so I mean), so i cant see that the addition of contraflow adds any significant issue to those using the alternative (correct) route as far as using the opposing lane to pass, well, don't pass, or don't pass unless the lane is clear, surely that's no different to the rules and sense of using any carriageway.

Not sure I understand your point here. Also not sure why the OP insists on going that way, plenty of alternative routes, that offer much better riding with no fixed penalties.

All a bit daft.

SW19cam

Über Member
Looks like there are two different issues:

1) Did the cyclist break the law ?Yes. This road is bus only and it looks like he was ‘taken care of’ proportionally and indeed he accepted the punishment.

2) Should this road be bus only ? Having recently been on the LCC protest ride I would say no. The obvious alternatives are hideous and I believe cyclists should be able to cycle on all roads (indeed, Kensington and Chelsea is trialling allowing contra flow cyclists on one way streets!).

Looks like there are two different issues:

1) Did the cyclist break the law ?Yes. This road is bus only and it looks like he was ‘taken care of’ proportionally and indeed he accepted the punishment.

2) Should this road be bus only ? Having recently been on the LCC protest ride I would say no. The obvious alternatives are hideous and I believe cyclists should be able to cycle on all roads (indeed, Kensington and Chelsea is trialling allowing contra flow cyclists on one way streets!).
Sorry, but the route the OP took did NOT avoid the nasty Holborn junction, if so he would have ceom from the right at teh the junction the turned left.

The fact he turned there and not 50 yards up the road at Gt Russell St is no excuse at all.

OP
OP
veloevol

veloevol

Evo Lucas
I believe the video may have been made to prove the point about the police fining cyclists. This may not be the case but only the OP can say if it is or not.

The video was made because I read somewhere that this FPN action effectively throws cyclists under the wheels of HGV's by making people share routes with heavy vehicles, I contend that. I felt that was unfair on this division of the police, who from my experiences are good reasonable police officers who happen to patrol on bikes.

Met police bosses and TFL put them there to counter bus drivers complaints.

However I still think it is a far safer route (providing you stay behind the buses).

Wither I'd do it again remains to be seen but to keep the good people of CC busy I'm saying I will.

Top Bottom