Fixie beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bungyb69

I've just bought a fixie bike with a fixed gear but on the other side of the wheel there is a thread so I can fit a free wheel cog I'm just stuck as to what I need to get? 16t?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
The cog varies depending whether you live on the flat / want speed (14-16T) or in a hilly area / want steady (17-19T). It's your choice.

OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

My commute is mainly flat! With a bit of an incline either side! Are they mainly all the same diameter to fit on the wheel?

OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

IMG_20200606_121036.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That’s a proper hipster’s bike that is. Not sure if the fixed wheel counts as a brake but I’d fit one just to be safe.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

That’s a proper hipster’s bike that is. Not sure if the fixed wheel counts as a brake but I’d fit one just to be safe.
The back wheel is the brake and I've had a front brake fitted! UK law states that you only need a front if your riding a fixed gear bike but when I add a freewheel cog I shall be adding a back brake at the same time 👍🏻

OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

After you've ridden it fixed for a while, if your happy with the gearing just count the teeth and buy the same in a single speed.

+1 for a rear brake, fixed or not IMO :okay:
Nice one thank you pal! My question was are they just an average size diameter or is there a big variety! The most I've seen are an 18teeth with a 34 diameter

Top Bottom