Fixie beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Velosolo are a good source of single speed stuff. I use Dicta freewheels. Cheap, but that means you can easily experiment with different sizes. They have not let me down.

OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

Velosolo are a good source of single speed stuff. I use Dicta freewheels. Cheap, but that means you can easily experiment with different sizes. They have not let me down.
Thank you so much I'll have a look! I'm just getting in to the fixie side of bikes been riding mountain/road for years but thought I'm literally using the same gear back and to for work

silva

Über Member
If you mount a freewheel it's possible that your chainline changes and you need to move/place spacers to correct it

Sharky

Guru
If you mount a freewheel it's possible that your chainline changes and you need to move/place spacers to correct it
Probably not. If it is a flip/flop wheel, it should have been built for a fixed one side and a SS the other.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

Probably not. If it is a flip/flop wheel, it should have been built ir a fixed one side and a SS the other.
It is a flip flop wheel the guy in the shop told me but he wanted to charge me £40 to put one on but lve been on the Web and you can get them for half that price and it just screws on

Sharky

Guru
It is a flip flop wheel the guy in the shop told me but he wanted to charge me £40 to put one on but lve been on the Web and you can get them for half that price and it just screws on
And Dicta ones are less than a tenner, but need to sort a back brake before you go SS.

silva

Über Member
I didn't know that a flip flop wheel is defined as a fixed and a freewheel combination, I thought it was a gear choice, rather less practical due to different chain lengths.

Sharky

Guru
On the fixed side, it should have two threaded sections. One for the sprocket and one for a lock ring with anti clockwise thread.
If a pure track wheel, it could be the same or might just have a slightly wider threaded section for a screw on freewheel.

OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

Just an update guys been out only did 6 miles and I've never been so scared in my life!! freewheel will be fitted tomorrow aswell as a back brake, it's the constant pedalling and then you forget and nearly go over the bars ☠️💀☠️

Sharky

Guru
It takes a bit longer then 6 miles to get used to a fixed, but we'll worth it once you've mastered it.
But a single speed (freewheel) can be just as exhilarating.

Enjoy

OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

It takes a bit longer then 6 miles to get used to a fixed, but we'll worth it once you've mastered it.
But a single speed (freewheel) can be just as exhilarating.

Enjoy
I've never been so scared and it takes a lot!! It was the fact my head was saying slow down as I was going down hill and my legs were saying I'm trying to lol

Top Bottom