Fixie beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silva

Über Member
I've never been so scared and it takes a lot!! It was the fact my head was saying slow down as I was going down hill and my legs were saying I'm trying to lol
I really don't get this. Are you sure there wasn't a big dog hunting you or so?
Because, if there is any big benefit of fixed gear, it's that it HELPS you to slow down. ON TOP of using the brakes, you can resist the pedals, slowing down even faster.
Just stand up, and everytime a crank comes up behind the bottom bracket, resist using that leg, using as back the other leg and arms on the handlebars. It's easier (but somewhat less effective) to concentrate on / use a same leg to resist. I bring a song in my mind when doing it (Links zu links zu links 2 3 4 links - rammstein).

silva

Über Member
I literally was shaking when I got home it was so intense! I kept think I'm going fall at any moment
I had to laugh so hard reading this that I felt of my chair here lol.
Edit - some advice: see the bike as a horse and you as the rider it has to obey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bungyb69

bungyb69

I had to laugh so hard reading this that I felt of my chair here lol.
Edit - some advice: see the bike as a horse and you as the rider it has to obey.
I know I'm a big wuss I'd never ridden one! I kept forgetting I couldn't stop peddling it just felt really strange! But now I love my single speed been on it every day back and forth to work!

Attachments

• IMG_20200620_075255.jpg
    IMG_20200620_075255.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 14

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Nice to see a fixed set up for serious mileage, mudguards ,saddlebag and two large bottles. Although you do realise that classic combo brooks and Carradice mark you out as a cycling old fart. Not one of those cycling is the new golf mamil types .( I'm a brooks / Carradice oldfart myself)

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Nice to see a fixed set up for serious mileage, mudguards ,saddlebag and two large bottles. Although you do realise that classic combo brooks and Carradice mark you out as a cycling old fart. Not one of those cycling is the new golf mamil types .( I'm a brooks / Carradice oldfart myself)
Thankyou, this was a cheeky 60 miler that day

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Hi scudupnorth ,we both ride boardman fixeds , know that fixed is not just for looking cool round town . Not embarrassed to been seen with brooks and Carradice and from your profile both Skoda owners. You know what this means? This is just like Rick and Louis in the final scene in Casablanca.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've done the Dunwich Dynamo on fixed three times (I also started it on fixed in 2007 but the rain caused me to exercise my bailout option...the bike was not at fault). Four times on a geared bike. Wouldn't do it on gears again. Best run was last year, on a track bike the same age as me.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Hi Ian H in the mid nineties the club I rode with had winter fixed group ,age wise we were 40 and above and geared in the mid sixties ,mid sixties was also the age of some. We were joined by a young man called Steven who was already a keen audax rider and riding 80 inch plus . He proceeded to slaughter us on the hills. I wonder what happened to him.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Ian H in the mid nineties the club I rode with had winter fixed group ,age wise we were 40 and above and geared in the mid sixties ,mid sixties was also the age of some. We were joined by a young man called Steven who was already a keen audax rider and riding 80 inch plus . He proceeded to slaughter us on the hills. I wonder what happened to him.
I must be slow today... I have only just realised where your forum name comes from! :laugh:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hi scudupnorth ,we both ride boardman fixeds , know that fixed is not just for looking cool round town . Not embarrassed to been seen with brooks and Carradice and from your profile both Skoda owners. You know what this means? This is just like Rick and Louis in the final scene in Casablanca.
They are such good bikes and with the added a Brooks and Carradice it is versatile for decent rides out or Audax. It always gets some interest when I ride 200k’s ..... maybe they think I’m mad 😆

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Sounds like Steve Abraham. I saw him ride up a 1 in 4 hill on 86", break his handlebars with the effort, clamp them back together with a light mount and ride another 80 miles.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Got it one. I think everyone who has rode with him over the years has a story . Maybe some one should collect them together,it would make very entertaining read.

Top Bottom