fixing my rear rack to rear stay no lugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jablake

i want to fix a rack to the rear stay i have seen a bracket other than the pclips but can not remember where.
thanks

I'm sure I've seen rack mounts that are attached by the rear qr axle. However a quicj=k search has found nothing so far. SJS and/or James could be good starting points.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If all else fails, P clips actually work perfectly well. Pad them with a little cut up inner tube if you don't want to chip your paint. I'd probably just go for the P clips anyway, TBH, but I'm a mackling type of person.

Arch said:
... TBH, but I'm a mackling type of person.

mackle n. A blurred or double impression in printing.

mackle v.intr. To become blurred.

or did you mean

mackling (tr) Midland English dialect to mend hurriedly or in a makeshift way

Arch

Married to Night Train
John Ponting said:
mackle n. A blurred or double impression in printing.

mackle v.intr. To become blurred.

or did you mean

mackling (tr) Midland English dialect to mend hurriedly or in a makeshift way

The latter, of course. Funnily, although I spent 20 years living in Leicester from age 10 to 30, I didn't learn the verb "to mackle" until I moved to York and met a friend who had a friend who was an engineer from Oadby, just down the road from our house in Leicester. My friend, Tom, now sadly deceased, was a supreme mackler, and it's from him I get my idea that nothing is really impossible with enough zipties and p-clips and imagination. Of all my bikes, only the recently rebuilt Galaxy doesn't still bear some slightly bodged but perfectly well working fix.

And even on the Galaxy, the front mudguard has been made by cutting down a rear one, the only way I could get a matching pair of gold ones. I hope he approves.

ChrisKH

Guru
So you are what we call down south a 'bodger' ? :tongue:

My wife and her father are bodgers. They have a 'that'll do' approach to most things.

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
So you are what we call down south a 'bodger' ? :tongue:

My wife and her father are bodgers. They have a 'that'll do' approach to most things.

Hmm, interesting, To me, a bodger does a job that's ok, but slightly substandard, whereas a mackler does a job that is unconventional, but works perfectly. A subtle distinction, and perhaps one that exists only in my head.

Crankarm

Guru
Arch said:
Hmm, interesting, To me, a bodger does a job that's ok, but slightly substandard, whereas a mackler does a job that is unconventional, but works perfectly. A subtle distinction, and perhaps one that exists only in my head.

NOoooooo...... !!!

Bodgers were skilled craftsmen to be found in the area of High Wycombe in Buckinghamhsire on the edge of the Chilterns. They made functional and quality furniture turning wood on spinning machines and using traditional carpentry. They were NOT bodgers in the derogatory sense.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crankarm said:
NOoooooo...... !!!

Bodgers were skilled craftsmen to be found in the area of High Wycombe in Buckinghamhsire on the edge of the Chilterns. They made functional and quality furniture turning wood on spinning machines and using traditional carpentry. They were NOT bodgers in the derogatory sense.

No, well, that's a different type of bodger isn't it? Some words can have more than one meaning...

Top Bottom