Flagpoles for cycles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magna

I'm interested in attaching one of those flagpole thingies to my bike/pannier in order to increase visibility. Not very cool I know but I imagine they'd work quite well. Any ideas on where I can get one or construct one?

numbnuts

Legendary Member

PrettyboyTim

If you do a search for 'bike trailer flag on google there's quite a few results, starting from £1.99.

Not sure how it would help on a normal bike though. On most bikes you're taller than the average car anyway so a flag is not going to add much in the way of extra visibility. Also, you're most in danger from drivers in front of you not seeing you (i.e. if they pull out in front of you or fail to see you in their wing mirror and pull across you) in which case you're fairly likely to be blocking the view of the bike anyway.

snorri

Legendary Member
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I know in Germany lot's of cyclists have these, especially the youngsters

I didn't see any on bikes, but lots of cars had them in Germany, I think it was to do with some sports event rather than a safety measure.

goo_stewart

Yeah, not sure of the safety benefit of these things. The only time I have seen them was in Laos when a couple of Canadians were using them to advertise the fact that they were Canadian - they stuck their ubiquitous Maple Leaf to them (in place of it on their panniers/luggage). I am not sure of the benefits of advertising your nationality in this day and age also....

The only advantage I can see is that you will be visible over a hill/hump, but even then I don't think some drivers will alter their speed or drive more carefully.

Top Bottom