Flanders 2014 ***spoilers***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Some of these might deserve a whole thread of their own, and some might barely deserve a mention at all, but I thought it might be good to have an umbrella thread anyway for general discussion of all things cobbled, kicking off this weekend...

1st March - Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
2nd March - Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne
7th-9th March - Driedaagse de Panne-Koksijde
26th March - Dwars Door Vlaanderen
28th March - E3 Harelbeke
30th March - Gent-Wevelgem
6th April - Ronde Van Vlaanderen
9th April - Scheldeprijs
13th April - Paris-Roubaix
16th April - Brabantse Pijl

I reckon they all deserve a thread of their own, the first proper racing of the year!

The Couch

Über Member
1st March - Omloop Het Nieuwsblad
2nd March - Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne
7th-9th March - Driedaagse de Panne-Koksijde
26th March - Dwars Door Vlaanderen
28th March - E3 Harelbeke
30th March - Gent-Wevelgem
6th April - Ronde Van Vlaanderen
9th April - Scheldeprijs
13th April - Paris-Roubaix
16th April - Brabantse Pijl
You know... if you would have to make a fantasy team of 10 guys for the full list of these early season races (and while you're at it, you could easily throw in Amstel Gold, Waalse Pijl and Luik-Bastenaken-Luik) you'd probably have a great team just by selecting OPQS guys :eek::
  1. Boonen
  2. Cavendish
  3. Kwiatkowski
  4. Terpstra
  5. Uran
  6. Meersman
  7. Stybar
  8. Vandenbergh
  9. Van Keirsbulck (a very young/cheap/unknown guy to fill the team, but have you seen this guy in Qatar?! he was strong)
  10. You would still have the choice between Bakelants, De Gendt, Trentin, Fenn, Vermote and Maes
If the results of this team in these races is anywhere near the theoretical potential they have....this could be one of those dominant end-of-the-90s Mapei Classics season (without the cut loafs and wasps this time).

You know... if you would have to make a fantasy team of 10 guys for the full list of these early season races (and while you're at it, you could easily throw in Amstel Gold, Waalse Pijl and Luik-Bastenaken-Luik) you'd probably have a great team just by selecting OPQS guys :eek::
  1. Boonen
  2. Cavendish
  3. Kwiatkowski
  4. Terpstra
  5. Uran
  6. Meersman
  7. Stybar
  8. Vandenbergh
  9. Van Keirsbulck (a very young/cheap/unknown guy to fill the team, but have you seen this guy in Qatar?! he was strong)
  10. You would still have the choice between Bakelants, De Gendt, Trentin, Fenn, Vermote and Maes
If the results of this team in these races is anywhere near the theoretical potential they have....this could be one of those dominant end-of-the-90s Mapei Classics season (without the cut loafs and wasps this time).

they do seem such a strong team - maybe it will be their undoing with infighting, but i doubt it somehow.

my money is on an OPQS guy winning most of the cobbled races - with fab Fab getting one as well.

I'd like to see Stybar getting something this year. He has the doggedness and determination of a classics winner. I absolutely loved watching him win the Cyclocross worlds and think he was unlucky last season when a spectator took him out of contention in Paris Roubaix, i think. Maybe Flanders.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Lots of tumbles in the Omloop - Hushovd out already.
The weather isn't good - bizarrely sunny in the UK though!

Top Bottom