Flat-bar dilemma: Whyte commuter or convert my Genesis?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
He says it's a tour de Fer, different bike. Presumably it's a loss of confidence braking from hoods or drops?

Mr.Lacis

Whats the problem with the CDF? is it the drop bar that had some bearing on the accident or is it a mental block you have with the bike?
You have to do whats best for yourself at the end of the day but is seems a shame not to ride a nice bike like that.
I wouldnt be converting it, I'd sell it and get something you want to ride.

It´s a problem of confidence, as vickster well pointed out. The bike is wonderful. Really nice geometry. Feels really light and agile when unloaded and very stable when fully loaded. My wife comes from MTB or Hybrid bikes background so she is used to have everything handy and be able to reach the beaks intuitively. That´s why I was wondering about the best solution without having to get rid of the bike, as is really nice

vickster

Legendary Member
It´s a problem of confidence, as vickster well pointed out. The bike is wonderful. Really nice geometry. Feels really light and agile when unloaded and very stable when fully loaded. My wife comes from MTB or Hybrid bikes background so she is used to have everything handy and be able to reach the beaks intuitively. That´s why I was wondering about the best solution without having to get rid of the bike, as is really nice
Cross levers I’d say

I'd agree, cross levers. If you fit flat bars, then you've a bunch of attendant problems to solve as well as the expense of new levers and gear changers. I would only go down that route if the cross levers don't suit.

Funnily enough my wife has just gone the other way to a drop bar bike. She did choose one with hydraulic brakes as the feel and force were immediately more reassuring than cable discs or calipers. It was also easier to adjust lever reach. She was also trying to solve a carpal tunnel problem and the varied positions available for drop bars were an immediate benefit, something to bear in mind.

She did say the new bike feels twitchier that the mtn bike she's coming off, which it is bound to and there is always some adaptation to do. The other thing to consider is bar shape and width. It could be that changing the bars could also be beneficial, what you need to do is find a store and peruse some drop bar bikes to see what might suit

Mr.Lacis

Thank you all for your advice. Really helpful and reassuring. Will start with the cross levers, then when she gets better and back on the bike start gaining confidence on quiet roads, etc, but will see how she fills with an extra aid of cross levers :smile:

Top Bottom