Flat bar to Drop bar conversion Specialized Sirrus Elite

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I would love to have pics from this conversion
Hi and :welcome: @arsa3858

Unfortunately this is a very old thread and the links to the pics have got lost somewhere along the line. Since Lonerider hasn't logged in since 2010 it doesn't look likely that we'll get to see the photos again.

Be that as it may; come in, make yourself at home and enjoy the site.

Here are before and after pictures of my recent flat bar to drop bar conversion

I initially bought my Specialized Sirrus Elite to get into road cycling. I always thought drop bars and levers looked dangerous to operate and settled on the Sirrus following the advice of Dales cycles in Glasgow. It is a great bike and was the right bike for me at the time.

However, having gained confidence on the roads and wanting ever more speed and performance and having had a go of some road bikes recently I saw the advantages of having a racing styled bike. These for me included being in a wind beating posture and being able to control braking and gear changes from both the upright position (on hoods - previously bar ends) and on the drop position.

Having been out on the bike following the conversion I have noticed an overall advantage in my average speeds of around 1 mph (previously 15.5 mph now 16.5 mph on country lanes with rolling hills). I also think my bike is lighter overall however I have not weighed it.

Here is a list of parts bought from Ribblecycles.co.uk used for the conversion:

• Shimano Tiagra 4500 9 Speed STI Levers
  • Road racing drop handlebars
  • Cinneli cork ribbon
  • Gear/ Brake cable inners and outers
Total Cost £112

The Ergo levers work with mini V brakes – something which when researching I found much conflicting information.

The Tiagra Ergo levers plumed straight in to existing front and rear derailers and work with triple and double chainsets. They are of high quality and are extremely comfy.

I hope this is of some interest to those thinking about doing the same. It saved me a fortune from buying a new bike (which I nearly done at a cost of £900).

Lonerider ;)

Well chuffed you had a good conversion. Would be v surprised if it weighed any less though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would love to have pics from this conversion
I have done a drop bar conversion on a subway , i used bar end shifters as a cost effective way to get over the issue with mtb brake lever and front mech cable pull difference to road levers .
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/mtb-drop-bar-conversion.197717/
drop-bar-mtb-jpg.jpg

Top Bottom