Flat Bar v Drop Bar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Give me an example. Do they float on water, for example? Can you ride across quicksand without sinking? Do they stick to the ceiling?

You can ride across a ploughed field or on very soft ground, they certainly ride different and put a smile on my face.

greenmark

Guru
That initial video seems a bit misleading - it isn't really comparing flat vs drops but comparing short body position with extended body position.

If you set up two bikes, one with flat bars and the other where hand positions for the tops relative to saddle and bottom bracket are exactly the same, then the key differences are that drop bars allow you to ride on drops, but flat bars will usually give better brake performance compared with riding on tops.

Most bike handling characteristics of bikes come from the relative position of the rider in front of the rear wheel. There will also be other things but those are relatively minor compared with the bike rider's centre of gravity relative to the rear wheel. Two bikes with the same hand positions relative to the saddle and bottom bracket will have very similar ride characteristics, comfort and aerodynamics, regardless whether the hands are there from flat bars or from riding on tops.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've got both but prefer drop bars on a longer ride and flat bars for shorter pootles. I find I get bother with finger numbness on flat bars even using bar ends, plus if a bit of wind picks up, you can duck down a bit more out of it with the drop bars too.

Drago

Legendary Member
Strewth, I always cringe at Garotting Cycling Numpties :sad:

Generally, I prefer flat bars. However, for orthopaedic reasons I'm more comfortable on drops where I can spend time on the hoods without pronating my hands and placing stress on my titanium bits.

It is going to different each individual rider dependent on their size, health, build, injuries, fitness, and a dozen other variables...

The thread title may as well ask...
religion-which-is-the-one-true-faith.jpg

Last edited:
The flat bar/drop bar debate is quite separate from the aero-tuck/upright stance debate. Many couriers use flat bars, 4" below the saddle, cut narrow for a highly aerodynamic stance. They just don't have any alt hand positions.
My flat bar experience is with std MTB flats that caused shoulder problem. I switched to the One One Mary with more bend in the flats and the issue was solved. The more relaxed wrist position unwound all of the twist that flats were causing. I get a similar issue on drops if the brake levers are not positioned correctly for me in terms of up-down and rotation on the bar.

Gary E

Veteran
I like drops purely for the varied hand positions that it affords you which helps alleviate hand pain during long rides. I would say I use the first three positions roughly equally but tend to use the last one very rarely :smile:

dropbarpositions.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've got both but prefer drop bars on a longer ride and flat bars for shorter pootles. I find I get bother with finger numbness on flat bars even using bar ends, plus if a bit of wind picks up, you can duck down a bit more out of it with the drop bars too.
I have the same issue although my bastisch conversion feels like it needs wider drop bars for stability .

Last edited:

Johnno260

Veteran
I found flats were ok until I started doing longer distances, then the limited hand position gave my issues with my hands/wrists, I added bar ends but I hated the things.

Drops are far more comfortable, but that's just my opinion.

Top Bottom